Local Sports Results:
- Lady Crusaders in Semi-Finals Tonight… The Lady Crusader basketball team returns to action tonight at 6 pm as they travel to Wilson Hall in Sumter to take on the Lady Raiders of Holy Hill Academy in a semi-finals game with the winner advancing to the finals on Saturday at the Sumter Civic Center… The Lady Crusaders come into the game with an impressive 25-3 record on the season while the best information I could find says Holly Hill has a 13-3 record… I know that does not include any playoff games… In those 16 games the Raiders are averaging 47.3 points per game while giving up 40.6 points per game… The Lady Crusaders are averaging 49.2 points per game while giving up 24.1 points per game… Good luck to the Lady Crusaders!
AP Basketball Polls… Let’s do a quick check of this week’s Division I college basketball AP Polls.
- Men… The top three teams for this week are the same as last week as Gonzaga (28-0) continues to hold down the top spot with Villanova and Kansas right behind them… Arizona and UCLA round out the top 5… Spots 6-10 are occupied by Oregon, Louisville, North Carolina, Baylor and Duke (who lost to Syracuse at the Buzzer last night) in that order… South Carolina dropped out of the top 25 after recent loses… To see the entire top 25 poll, click here.
- Women… The top 4 team stayed the same in the women’s AP Poll with UConn (26-0) on top followed by Maryland, Mississippi State, and Baylor… Spots 5-10 are occupied by Notre dame, Texas, South Carolina while Florida State & Stanford tied for 8th… Oregon State claimed the #10 spot… To see the entire top 25, click here.
College Baseball Scores From Yesterday
- PC 6 – Wofford 1… The Blue Hose baseball team ran its record to 2-3 on the young season yesterday by taking a 6-1 win over the Wofford Terriers in Clinton… PC put 5 runs on the board and were never really challenged after that as 5 Blue Hose pitchers allowed only 4 hits in the game while PC collected 12… To see a recap of the game, click here… To see the box score and stats, click here… The team will now host Stony Brook in a 3-game series starting Friday at 2 pm.
- Clemson 11 – WCU 5… Now it’s also good news for Clemson Tiger fans as Clemson rallied from a 5-1 deficit with five runs in the seventh inning and five runs in the eighth inning in its 11-5 victory over Western Carolina at Doug Kingsmore Stadium… To see a recap of this game, click here… To se the box score and other stats on the game, click here…. The Tigers improve to 2-2 on the season and will host Elon in a 3-game series starting Friday at 4 pm.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS, click here
- Laurens Academy: The girls basketball team will take on Holly Hill Thursday at 6 pm for the upper state championship at Wilson Hall.
This & That:
- Allen Staton Baseball Camp… Allen Staton and Thomas Jones will be holding a baseball camp next Saturday (2-25-17) where campers will receive group and personal instructions from both of these professional baseball players… Infield and outfield mechanics as well as hitting instruction will be available… The camp will be limited to the 40 campers between the ages of 9-12 so don’t delay… Registration is $50 and you can sign up at the City of Laurens Parks And Recreation offices at The Ridge… The camp will be held at the Laurens City Park between the hours of 9-12.
- 39th Annual CHS / CMS FCA Community Prayer Breakfast… Once again this year the Clinton Family YMCA is teaming up with the Clinton HS and Clinton MS FCA to have their 39th Annual Community Prayer Breakfast… This series of four breakfast meetings will start on Monday, March 6th and conclude Thursday, March 10th … The breakfast will start each morning at 7:15 in the CHS cafeteria and the cost for adults is $3 per day participate in the breakfast portion of the meeting… The meeting will then will move to the CHS main gym at 8 am for the featured speaker each of the four days… For more information as to who the speakers are each day click here… Middle school and high school age students are encouraged to attend at no cost to them… For more information, call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.