Local Sports Results:
LDHS: The Raider baseball team opened up its season with a pair of wins over the weekend.
- Friday: Laurens 7 – Woodruff 5… Morgan French went 2 for 3 to lead the Raiders in their opening game victory… Jared Cvetko picked up the win in relief of Morgan French… For the box score and some stats on the game, click on the following: 17-2-24-Woodruff-W-7-5 … For the game’s scorecard, click on the following: 17-2-24-Woodruff-W-7-5-scorecard
- Saturday: Laurens 7 – Woodmont 6… The Raiders led this game 6-0 going into the top of the sixth inning when Woodmont tied the game putting 6 runs on the board… In the bottom of the seventh inning with one out, Jared Cvetko had a sacrifice fly to right field to drive in Ty Foster from second base to take the win…. Four different Raiders had 2 hits each in the Raiders 13 hit attack and Jalen Bragg picked up the win in relief… For the box score and some stats on the game, click on the following: 17-2-25-Woodmont-W-7-6 … For the game’s scorecard, click on the following: 17-2-25-Woodmont-W-7-6-scorecard
- Southside 71 – Clinton 43… The Red Devil boys’ basketball team traveled up to the Bon Secours Wellness Arena last Saturday afternoon trying to punch their ticket to the AAA State championship in Columbia this Saturday… Clinton ranked #2 in the coaches’ poll took on the #1 ranked Southside Tigers and unfortunately the Tigers lived up to that ranking as they took a 71-43 win over the Red Devils… Southside led 22-14 at the end of the first quarter of play but the Red Devils offense went scoreless for about 5 minutes in the second quarter as Southside outscored Clinton 15-6 in that quarter and then to continue to outscore Clinton in each quarter to take the win… Southside proved to be very quick and in the first half especially forced many Clinton turnovers which more often than not they turned into points… Every time the Red Devils tried to make a run Southside would answer… Tymori Tribble led the Red Devils with 12 points and the only other Red Devil in double-digits was Zay Hurley with 10 points… Jahleed Cook had 7 points while both Kiah Young and Jalen carter finished with 5 points each…. Rounding out the scoring for the Red Devils Vilo Boyd and Tashymen Boyd each had 2 points… The Red Devils are to be congratulated on a great season where few Clinton teams have gone before!
- Dorchester Academy 52 – LA 45… The Lady Crusader basketball team traveled to the Sumter Civic Center on Saturday hoping to duplicate what the boys did a couple of years ago and that is win the State Class-A Championship… Their opponents were the Lady Raiders of Dorchester Academy out of St. George, SC… Despite jumping out to an early 12-10 lead at the end of the first quarter, the Lady Crusaders fell a little short of their goal as the Raiders took a 52-47 win and thus the championship… The Raiders came back from the two-point deficit at the end of the first quarter to lead 27-25 at the half… The two teams battled almost to a draw in the third quarter and at its end the Raiders had increased their lead to 3 with the score standing 34-31 headed into the final quarter of play… The Crusaders got plenty of shots at the basket but just could not get them to fall while the Raiders hit their free throws down the stretch to ice the game… Taylor Campbell led all scorers with 25 points and Ruthie Moore was also in double digits with 18… Regan Williamson rounded out the scoring for the Crusaders with 2 points…. The Crusaders finish the season with a 26-4 record and are to be congratulated on a great season.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS, click here
- Laurens Academy:
This & That:
- .39th Annual CHS / CMS FCA Community Prayer Breakfast… Once again this year the Clinton Family YMCA is teaming up with the Clinton HS and Clinton MS FCA to have their 39th Annual Community Prayer Breakfast… This series of four breakfast meetings will start on Monday, March 6th and conclude Thursday, March 10th … The breakfast will start each morning at 7:15 in the CHS cafeteria and the cost for adults is $3 per day participate in the breakfast portion of the meeting… The meeting will then will move to the CHS main gym at 8 am for the featured speaker each of the four days… For more information as to who the speakers are each day click here… Middle school and high school age students are encouraged to attend at no cost to them… For more information, call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.