- Women’s basketball: The Lady Blue Hose basketball team will close out their regular season tomorrow as they travel to Farmville, Va. to take on Longwood.
- Baseball: The PC baseball team had a mixed week so far as on Tuesday they lost to The Citadel down in Charleston by a score of 9-8 in a game that went back and forth but better news on Wednesday as they took a 3-2 win over NC A&T up in Greensboro… Now the team heads up to Greenville this weekend for 3 games with the first one being at Flour Field today at noon as they take on UT-Martin… They play Michigan State Saturday at Latham Stadium (Furman) in a noon contest and close the weekend out taking on Furman at Flour Field on Sunday at 3:00 pm.
- Softball: The Blue Hose softball team had a good week as they defeated SC State in Orangeburg 6-5 on Tuesday 6-5… The team will be traveling to Statesboro, Ga. to participate in the eagle Classic Tournament… They play Marshall today, Delaware state tomorrow and have two games on Sunday one with eastern Kentucky and the other with the host team Georgia Southern.
Local Sports Notes:
- Baseball: Boiling Springs 13 – Laurens 9… The Laurens Raider baseball team suffered its first loss of the season last night at Ed Prescott Field as the Boiling Springs Bulldogs took a come from behind 13-9 win by scoring 5 runs in the seventh inning… Boiling Springs opened the game by scoring 3 runs in the top of the first inning two of them on a homerun…. The Raiders responded by scoring 5 runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 5-3 lead… The Bulldogs then scored three more runs in the top of the second and Laurens one in the bottom to even the score at 6-6… Over the next four innings the Bulldogs scored two more runs and the Raiders there to make the score 9-8 going into the top of the seventh inning… starter Ethan Jones had to be replaced in the top of the seventh inning due to new rules this year concerning the number of pitches a player may throw in a game and Morgan French came in in relief…French retired the first batter and the second reached on an error… The third batter grounded out and then the wheels came off the bus for the Raiders… Two singles, a walk and a three-run homer allowed the Bulldogs to put 5 runs on the board to take the lead and the Raiders were not able to respond in the bottom of the inning thus dropping their first game of the season…Jared Cvetko, Jalen Bragg and Morgan French each had two hits in the Raiders 9 hit attack…. The Raiders return to action next Tuesday when they open their region schedule hosting the Riverside Warriors in a 7:30 contest at Ed Prescott Field… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-2-Boilin_Springs… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-2-Boilin_Springs-scorebook
- Boys Soccer: Greenwood 3 – Laurens 0… The Raiders boys’ soccer team faced Greenwood Eagles at home on Tuesday February, 28 2017… For most of the game, the Eagles dominated the midfield with their passes and forward runs, but the strong Raiders defense kept the game goalless until about halfway through the first half. In the 22nd minute, the Eagles attacked down the left flank and played a slotted ball back across the goal with a Greenwood player placing the ball in the back of the net… Continuing their momentum, the Eagles scored again in the 29th minute from a 20 yard strike over the Laurens goalkeeper and under the crossbar… Finally Greenwood scored their final goal late in the second half with the same tactics as the first goal; a slotted ball from the right wing to a Greenwood player near the penalty spot… The final whistle blew ending the game in a 3-0 win for Greenwood over Laurens… Laurens’ next game is on March 7, 2017 at home against Dixie High School.
- Clemson vs. South Carolina Baseball this Weekend… This weekend marks the annual 3-game series between Clemson and South Carolina on the baseball field… The first game will be tonight at Doug Kingsmore Stadium and first pitch is scheduled for 6:30… The team play tomorrow at Flour field with first pitch slated for 1:00 pm… The series finale will be at Founders Field in Columbia on Sunday and get home from church quickly because it starts at 1:00 pm also… I believe all games can be seen on the SEC + Network or on watch ESPN… My final words here… Go Gamecocks!
- SEC Women’s Tournament… To find the latest results and schedules for the SEC Women’s Basketball Tournament throughout the weekend, click here.
- ACC Women’s Tournament… To find the latest results and schedules for the ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament throughout the weekend, click here.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Baseball: Tuesday 3-7-17 as the Raiders host Riverside at 7:30 pm
- Baseball: Wednesday 3-8-17 as the Raiders host Emerald at 6:00 pm
- Softball: Thursday 3-9-17 as the Raiders host Woodruff at 6:00 pm
- Softball: Friday 3-10-17 as the Raiders host Riverside at 6:30 pm,
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS, click here
- Laurens Academy: Baseball at Wardlaw Tuesday 3-7-17
This & That:
- 39th Annual CHS / CMS FCA Community Prayer Breakfast… Once again this year the Clinton Family YMCA is teaming up with the Clinton HS and Clinton MS FCA to have their 39th Annual Community Prayer Breakfast… This series of four breakfast meetings will start on Monday, March 6th and conclude Thursday, March 10th … The breakfast will start each morning at 7:15 in the CHS cafeteria and the cost for adults is $3 per day participate in the breakfast portion of the meeting… The meeting will then will move to the CHS main gym at 8 am for the featured speaker each of the four days… For more information as to who the speakers are each day click here… Middle school and high school age students are encouraged to attend at no cost to them… For more information, call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555
- City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Girls Volleyball… Registration is open for young ladies ages 9-14 who would like to play volleyball … Registrations are being taken until March 13th. Registration is $80…You register at The Ridge near the EMS headquarters…. Volleyball nights will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:00pm… All games will be played at The Ridge
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund Raider called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.