Local Sports Notes:
Post-Season Basketball Awards… Before we let the recent basketball season get too far behind us in the rear view mirror let’s recap some post season honors for the local high school players.
- CHS… Boys: The Red Devils came off a great season and the post season honors further confirm that… making the All-Region Team were Jalen Carter, Zay Hurley and Tymori Tribble… Carter was also selected as the Region Player of the Year and Coach Eddie Romines was selected the Region Coach of the Year…. Girls: MK Kelley made the All-Region Team.
- LDHS… For the Laurens Raiders Carson Todd and Cali Heisey made their respective All-Region Teams.
- Laurens Academy… I have earlier given you the All-Region Team members for the Crusaders so let’s turn our attention to state honors for the Crusaders… Girls: Taylor Campbell and Ruthie Moore were named to the SCISA 1A All-Tournament Team… In addition to that, those two young ladies plus Blair Quarles were selected to play on the North Team in the North/South All-Star basketball game played this last Saturday… Also Coach Jason Marlett was selected to coach the North team for the second year in a row… By the way the North Team picked up the win in that game…. Boys: Turning to the Crusader boys, Josh Moore was also selected to play on the North Team which participated in the boys’ edition of the North/South All-Star Game… His team also took a victory this past Saturday at Wilson hall… Congratulations to all these athletes for all the schools!!
- ACC Women’s basketball Tournament… The finals of the ACC Women’s Tournament down in Conway had the Duke Blue Devils taking on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame… In the end, the ladies from South Bend took an 84-61 win to punch their ticket to the upcoming NCAA Tournament… For more information on the game, click here.
- SEC Women’s Tournament… Turning to the SEC, for the third year in a row the University of South Carolina gamecocks captured the crown… It wasn’t a run away as Mississippi State actually led by 5 in the third quarter but the gamecocks fought back to take a 59-49 win and insure their spot in the upcoming tournament also… For more information on the game, click here.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Baseball: Tuesday 3-7-17 as the Raiders host Riverside at 7:30 pm
- Baseball: Wednesday 3-8-17 as the Raiders host Emerald at 6:00 pm
- Softball: Thursday 3-9-17 as the Raiders host Woodruff at 6:00 pm
- Softball: Friday 3-10-17 as the Raiders host Riverside at 6:30 pm,
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS, click here
- Laurens Academy: Baseball at Wardlaw Tuesday 3-7-17
This & That:
- 39th Annual CHS / CMS FCA Community Prayer Breakfast… Once again this year the Clinton Family YMCA is teaming up with the Clinton HS and Clinton MS FCA to have their 39th Annual Community Prayer Breakfast… This series of four breakfast meetings will start on Monday, March 6th and conclude Thursday, March 10th … The breakfast will start each morning at 7:15 in the CHS cafeteria and the cost for adults is $3 per day participate in the breakfast portion of the meeting… The meeting will then will move to the CHS main gym at 8 am for the featured speaker each of the four days… For more information as to who the speakers are each day click here… Middle school and high school age students are encouraged to attend at no cost to them… For more information, call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555
- City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Girls Volleyball… Registration is open for young ladies ages 9-14 who would like to play volleyball … Registrations are being taken until March 13th. Registration is $80…You register at The Ridge near the EMS headquarters…. Volleyball nights will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:00pm… All games will be played at The Ridge
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raider called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.