- Varsity baseball: Laurens 7 – Riverside 1… The Laurens Raider baseball team opened its region schedule last night at Ed Prescott Field as they took on the Riverside Warriors with and it was a good opening as the Raiders took a 7-1 win… The Raiders scored 2 runs in the first inning and that would be all starter Jared Cvetko would need as he went 6 innings giving up just 2 hits and the one earned run while striking out 8 and walking 3… The Raiders scored 3 in the third inning and single runs in the fifth and sixth inning… The Raiders had only 4 hits in the game and took advantage of 4 Warrior errors and a few wild pitches and passed balls by them also… Ethan Jones went 2-4 with a double and an RBI to lead the Raiders at the plate… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-7-Riverside… For the game’s scorecard click on the following:17-3-7-Riverside-scorebook … The Raiders host Emerald at 6:00 pm today.
- Varsity Softball: Laurens 15 – Riverside 1… The Raider softball team was also in action last night as they traveled to Riverside to open their season… Again there is good news as the Raiders put 5 runs on the board in the top of the first inning and then never looked back as they defeated the Warriors 15-1 in 5 innings… The Raiders scored their 15 runs on 12 hits and were aided by 11 Warrior errors… Cassy Plaia had the best night at the plate for the Raiders as she went 3-4 with an RBI… Rachel Delio picked up the win going 3 innings striking out 3 and walking none…. For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-7-at Riverside … For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-7-at Riverside-scorebook … The Raiders will host Woodruff at 6:00 pm Thursday.
- Tennis: Riverside 7 – Clinton 0… The Red Devils boys’ tennis team was in action last night as they traveled to Riverside to take on the Warriors… Now I have to do something I am glad I do not have to do that often and that is tell you that Riverside defeated the Red Devils 7-0… Isaac MacMillan and Tyler Trevino fought hard but lost in a third set tiebreaker… The team will be back in action today as they host St. Joseph’s.
- Softball: Clinton 9 – Whitmire 1…. The Red Devil softball team traveled to Whitmire Monday night and I did not get the final score in time to get it on yesterday’s sports report so let’s take care of that now… The News id good as the Red Devils ran their record to 3-2 on the young season by taking a 9-1 win over the Wolverines… Clinton jumped out quickly taking a 9-0 lead by the end of the fourth inning and did not allow the Wolverines to score until the sixth inning… The Red Devils picked up their 9 runs on 8 hits, 3 walks and 5 Wolverine errors… Clinton starter Katie Roland scattered 3 hits while walking just 1 and striking out 10 to pick up the complete game win… Elizabeth Childress went 3-4 with a double and 2 RBIs to lead the Red Devil offense… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-6-CHSS-Whitmire… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-6-CHSS-Whitmire-scorebook … The team will host Whitmire at 6:00 pm Thursday.
- Wardlaw 6 – LA 3… The Laurens Academy Crusader baseball team traveled to Wardlaw Academy last night and held a 3-1 lead going into the bottom of the 6th inning… However things went south for the Crusader in that inning as Wardlaw carried a 6-3 lead into the seventh inning and just could not come back as Wardlaw took the 6-3 win… Sorry no other details … The Crusaders travel to Whitmire for a 6 pm game on Thursday
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Baseball: Wednesday 3-8-17 as the Raiders host Emerald at 6:00 pm
- Softball: Thursday 3-9-17 as the Raiders host Woodruff at 6:00 pm
- Softball: Friday 3-10-17 as the Raiders host Riverside at 6:30 pm,
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: Crusaders at Whitmire 6 pm Thursday 3-9-17
This & That:
- 39th Annual CHS / CMS FCA Community Prayer Breakfast… Once again this year the Clinton Family YMCA is teaming up with the Clinton HS and Clinton MS FCA to have their 39th Annual Community Prayer Breakfast… This series of four breakfast meetings will start on Monday, March 6th and conclude Thursday, March 10th … The breakfast will start each morning at 7:15 in the CHS cafeteria and the cost for adults is $3 per day participate in the breakfast portion of the meeting… The meeting will then will move to the CHS main gym at 8 am for the featured speaker each of the four days… For more information as to who the speakers are each day click here… Middle school and high school age students are encouraged to attend at no cost to them… For more information, call the Clinton YMCA at 833-1555
- City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Girls Volleyball… Registration is open for young ladies ages 9-14 who would like to play volleyball … Registrations are being taken until March 13th. Registration is $80…You register at The Ridge near the EMS headquarters…. Volleyball nights will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:00pm… All games will be played at The Ridge
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raiser called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets on Sale… The Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame will induct eight members into its first class on March 30, 2017… The induction ceremony will be held at The Ridge at Laurens at 6:30pm… Tickets are on sale now at the Clinton YMCA, Laurens YMCA and Farm Bureau… Individual tickets are $25 and include the meal catered by Lee’s BBQ… The deadline to purchase tickets is March 24… No tickets will be sold at the door… For more information as to whom the inductees are and about the LCSHOF click here.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.