Local Sports Notes:
- Baseball: Laurens 7 – Emerald 5… The Laurens Raider baseball team hosted the ‘Emerald Vikings at Ed Prescott Field last night and in varsity action the Raiders took a 7-5 win but a lack of focus on defense almost cost the Raiders the game… The Raiders led 1-0 going into the top of the fourth inning when Raider errors allowed the first two Viking batters to reach base and before the inning was over a couple more errors, 3 hits, a walk and a wild pitch and passed ball allowed the Viking to put 5 runs on the board to take the lead… The Raiders came back in the bottom of the inning and got 3 of the runs back and then went ahead in the fifth when Ty Foster had a 2-out single to drive in two runs putting the Raiders up 6-5… The added an insurance run in the sixth to take the win… The Raiders scored their 7 runs on just 6 hits with 6 different Raiders getting the hits… Nate Towels started the game and pitched 5⅓ innings giving up the 5 unearned runs on 5 hits while he struck out 10 and walked 5 to pick up the win… Towles was lifted because of the new pitch limit rule and Matthew Holcombe finished the game getting a save… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-8-Emerald … For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-8-Emerald-scorebook … The Raiders are now 5-1 on the season and will be back in action Friday when they travel to Riverside.
- JV Baseball: Laurens 8 – Emerald 3… Now in action prior to the varsity game, the Raider JV baseball team was also victorious as the Vikings 8-3… Aidan Pridgen went 2-3, Zak Rice 2-2 and Garrett Addy 2-2 to lead the Raiders at the plate.
- Tennis: Boiling Springs 6 – Laurens 1… The Raider tennis team was also in action yesterday as they hosted the Boiling Springs Bulldogs… The Bulldogs took a 6-1 win and the Raiders lone win in the match was by the #1 doubles team of Allen Davis and Remy Clark who won in three sets.
- Boys Soccer: Dixie 1 – Laurens 0… Back on Tuesday the Raider boys’ soccer team hosted the Green Hornets of Dixie and the Hornets took a hard fought 1-0 win over the Raiders… The Hornets played very defensive throughout the game due to their early goal in the 9th minute when Hornet forward dribbled past the Raider defense and slotted the ball far post just past goalkeeper Jairo Cruz… Despite the many, many shots that LDHS boys took, none were put in the back of the net… Raider goalkeeper Cruz made many spectacular saves to keep the Hornets with only one goal… The game ended in a 1-0 win for Dixie over Laurens. The Raiders play their next game at Wade Hampton High School on Thursday March 9 at 7pm.
- Golf: Laurens 190 – Clinton 228… Also on Tuesday the Raider boys’ golf team opened its season by hosting Clinton at lakeside CC… The Raiders won the match 190-228… The only other detail I have is that Jonathan Finley was match medalist with a 39.
- Tennis: Clinton 5 – St Josephs 2… The Red Devils tennis team was in action yesterday as they hosted St. Josephs… Now the news here is good as the Red Devils took a 5-2 win… Isaac MacMillan, Robert Powell and Ike Waldron all took wins in singles action… Both doubles teams were also victorious and the #1 team was MacMillan and Powell while the members of the #2 team were Zack Bedenbaugh and Anders Orr who won in a third set tiebreaker.
- Duke 79 – Clemson 72… In the second round of the ACC Tournament up in New York yesterday afternoon the Duke Blue Devils eliminated the Clemson Tigers by taking a 79-72 win…I’ll say this for the Tigers, they put up a good fight as they trailed by just 1 (69-68) with about two minutes left in the game before falling… For more about this contest and the tournament, click here
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Softball: Thursday 3-9-17 as the Raiders host Woodruff at 6:00 pm
- Softball: Friday 3-10-17 as the Raiders host Riverside at 6:30 pm,
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: Crusaders at Whitmire 6 pm Thursday 3-9-17
This & That:
- City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Girls Volleyball… Registration is open for young ladies ages 9-14 who would like to play volleyball … Registrations are being taken until March 13th. Registration is $80…You register at The Ridge near the EMS headquarters…. Volleyball nights will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:00pm… All games will be played at The Ridge
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raiser called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets on Sale… The Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame will induct eight members into its first class on March 30, 2017… The induction ceremony will be held at The Ridge at Laurens at 6:30pm… Tickets are on sale now at the Clinton YMCA, Laurens YMCA and Farm Bureau… Individual tickets are $25 and include the meal catered by Lee’s BBQ… The deadline to purchase tickets is March 24… No tickets will be sold at the door… For more information as to whom the inductees are and about the LCSHOF click here.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.