Local Sports Notes:
- Softball: Woodruff 9 – Laurens 3… The Raider softball team hosted the Woodruff Wolverines last night and the results are not what I like to report the Wolverines took a 9-3 win to drop the Raiders to 1-1 on the young season… Woodruff scored in every inning except the first and sixth and never trailed leading 7-0 in the fourth before the Raider got on the board… Woodruff did have 7 hits but to be honest the Raiders committed 5 errors and they usually came at the worst possible time… The Raiders had 9 hits with Bailey Gibbs, CJ Ginn and Ansley Nelson getting two each but left 8 runners on base… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: … For the game’s scorecard click on the following: … The Raider will be back in action tonight at 6:30 as they host the Riverside Warriors in a game that can be heard here on Real Radio 860 and streaming on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- Correction… Yesterday I recapped the Raider’s 7-5 win over the Emerald Vikings in baseball action on Wednesday… I mistakenly gave credit to Matthew Holcombe for the win but in fact it was Nat Towles who picked up the win… Sorry about that.
- Girls’ Lacrosse: Clinton 17 – TL Hanna 3… Back on Wednesday the Lady Red Devils got their first win of the season at TL Hanna… Red Devil goals scored by Alexis Pagano (5), Stephanie Braswell (5), Savanna Campbell (3), Jill Meadors (1), Hali Satterfield (1), Nina Sauls (1), and Adeline Stephens (1)… Goalie, Jalen Davis, had 9 saves in goal and only allowed 3 goals for the night… The team is now 1-3 on the season and will host Academic magnet tonight at 7:00.
- C-Team Baseball: The Red Devil freshman baseball team hosted the Broome Centurions last night in a doubleheader of action… Now I don’t have any details other than the final scores and they are good news for Red Devil fans as they swept the Centurions by scores of 10-0 in the first game and 2-1 in the seond game… The team is now 4-1 on the season.
- Whitmire 8 – LA t (8)… The Laurens Academy Crusader baseball team lost a heartbreaker yesterday at Whitmire as the two teams battled for 8 innings with the Wolverines getting the winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning to take an 8-7 win dropping the Crusaders to 0-4 on the season… Sorry no further details… The Crusaders will be back in action Monday when they host Southside Christian in a 6:00 pm contest.
- Women’s basketball… The #6 seeded Lady Blue Hose basketball team opens their play in the Big South Tournament tonight at 8:00 pm as they travel up to Lynchburg, Va. to face the #3 seeded Panthers of High Point… Now for you Lady Blue Hose fans the game can be on ESPN 3 and if you click here it will carry you to a posting on the Blue Hose website where you will find links to live stats and the tournament bracket… Good luck to the team!
- Softball… Back on Tuesday the Blue Hose softball team finally got to play at home as they hosted the Youngstown State Penguins in a doubleheader… PC won the first game 4-3 but dropped the second game 4-2… For more information on these games, click here… The Blue Hose head on the road again for their final regular season tournament March 11-12, as they take part in the Elon Phoenix Tournament in Elon, N.C. PC faces Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday at 10 a.m., before taking on Elon at 12:15 p.m. Sunday’s action sees the Blue Hose take on Fairleigh Dickinson again at 9:45 a.m., and Norfolk State at 12 p.m.
- Baseball: PC 8 – NC Central 7… On Wednesday the Blue Hose baseball team ran its record to 8-7 on the season as they defeated NC Central by a score of 8-7 in Clinton… Now for more information on this game, click here…. The team hits the road as they travel to Auburn for a 3-game series with the first game taking place this afternoon at 3:oo pm ET.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Softball: Friday 3-10-17 as the Raiders host Riverside at 6:30 pm
- Softball: Monday 3-13-17 as the Raiders host BHP at 7:30 pm
- Softball: Tuesday 3-14-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm
- Baseball: Friday 3-17-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: Monday 3-13-17 Crusaders baseball host Southside Christian at 6:00 pm
This & That:
- City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Girls Volleyball… Registration is open for young ladies ages 9-14 who would like to play volleyball … Registrations are being taken until March 13th. Registration is $80…You register at The Ridge near the EMS headquarters…. Volleyball nights will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:00pm… All games will be played at The Ridge
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raiser called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets on Sale… The Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame will induct eight members into its first class on March 30, 2017… The induction ceremony will be held at The Ridge at Laurens at 6:30pm… Tickets are on sale now at the Clinton YMCA, Laurens YMCA and Farm Bureau… Individual tickets are $25 and include the meal catered by Lee’s BBQ… The deadline to purchase tickets is March 24… No tickets will be sold at the door… For more information as to whom the inductees are and about the LCSHOF click here.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.