Local Sports Notes:
- Softball: Laurens 17 – Riverside 1 (3)… Last Friday night the Raider softball team played host to the Riverside Warriors and they were still hurting from the 9-3 loss to Woodruff the night before… Well it did not take them long to start feeling better as they held Riverside scoreless in the top of the first and then sent 22 batters to the plate in the bottom of the inning scoring 17 runs in route to a 17-1 win in a 2½ inning game shortened by the 15 run after 3 rule… To be honest the Warriors had a young team and it showed as they committed 8 errors and managed only 3 hits… CJ Ginn led the Raiders going 3-3 with 2 doubles and 4 RBIs… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following:17-3-10-Riverside-SB … For the game’s scorebook click on the following: 17-3-10-Riverside-SB-scorebook … The Raiders will host the BHP Bears today in a 7:30 contest that can be heard here on Real Radio 860 and on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Baseball: Riverside 4 – Laurens 3 (10)… About the time the softball team was finishing off Riverside at home the baseball team started its game with Riverside at Riverside… The Raiders had a 3-1 lead after two innings but by the time they went to the bottom of the seventh Riverside had cut the lead to 3-2… They then proceeded to the game 3-3 and it stayed that way until the bottom of the tenth inning… In that inning the first Warrior batter singled, the next walked and the third was intentionally walked…The fourth batter then hit into a fielder’s choice where the runner at third was retired at the plate… Unfortunately for Raider fans the next batter singled to give the Warriors a walk-off 4-3 win…. The Warriors outhit the Riders 9-4 and to see which Raiders had those hit and for other stats and the box score click on the following: 17-3-10-Riversid-B …. For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-10-Riversid-B-scorebook… The Raiders are scheduled to host the Clinton Red Devils today at 7:00 pm and that game will NOT be broadcast here on Real radio 860 but can be heard on another local area station.
- JV Baseball: Riverside 8 – Laurens 1… In action prior to the varsity game last Friday night, the Warrior JV baseball team took an 8-1 win over the Raiders… The game was tied 1-1 going into the bottom of the 6th inning when the Warriors struck for 7 runs and held on to take the win… Sorry no other details.
- Golf: Chapman 166 – Clinton 225… The Red Devil golf team was on the road up to Inman to take on the Chapman Panthers last Thursday… The young rebuilding Red Devils found the Panthers pretty tough as Chapman took a 166-225 win… Lawrence Coleman had a score of 49 to lead the Red Devils.. Other Clinton scores were Diego Washington 57, Blaine Crisp 59, Will Riser 60, Justin Easter 60 and Justin Snead 66… The team is now 0-2 on the young season.
- Soccer… I need to also do some catching up with the Clinton boys’ soccer team… CHS 1 – Providence Athletic Club 1… Last Tuesday the team took its first win as they defeated Providence Athletic Club 1-0 in Clinton… Brooks Threatt had the Red Devil with Luke Mann getting an assist… Spartanburg 3 CHS 0… The team was back in action Friday as they hosted the Spartanburg Vikings… The news is not as good as it was for the Tuesday match as the Vikings took a 3-0 win to drop Clinton to 1-5 on the season… Clinton managed only 3 shots on goal to Spartanburg 25.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Softball: Monday 3-13-17 as the Raiders host BHP at 7:30 pm
- Softball: Tuesday 3-14-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm
- Baseball: Friday 3-17-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: Crusaders baseball host Southside Christian today at 6:00 pm weather permitting.
This & That:
- City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Girls Volleyball… Registration is open for young ladies ages 9-14 who would like to play volleyball … Registrations are being taken until March 13th. Registration is $80…You register at The Ridge near the EMS headquarters…. Volleyball nights will be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:00pm… All games will be played at The Ridge
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raiser called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets on Sale… The Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame will induct eight members into its first class on March 30, 2017… The induction ceremony will be held at The Ridge at Laurens at 6:30pm… Tickets are on sale now at the Clinton YMCA, Laurens YMCA and Farm Bureau… Individual tickets are $25 and include the meal catered by Lee’s BBQ… The deadline to purchase tickets is March 24… No tickets will be sold at the door… For more information as to whom the inductees are and about the LCSHOF click here.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.