- Women’s Basketball… Last Friday night the Lady Blue Hose basketball team opened play in the Big South Tournament up in Lynchburg, Va. as they took on the High Point Panthers… The Panthers had won both the regular season contest with PC but on that night PC turned the tables by taking a 55-48 win with Courtney Story leading the team with 15 points… For more information on this game, click here… The win on Friday propelled the Blue Hose into a quarterfinals match against the Bulldogs of UNC-Ashville… The two teams had split the series during the season so this was the rubber game for the two teams… PC used a 12-2 run early in the fourth and grabbed a late lead, but UNC Asheville made an old-fashioned three with less than two seconds in the game to escape with a 56-55 win… For more information on this game, click here… The Blue Hose end the season with a 13-18 record… By the way, UNC-A hit 2 free throws with 5 seconds left in the championship game against Radford to take the Big South Tournament Championship.
- Cortney Story Gets Honor… Presbyterian College women’s basketball guard Cortney Storey has earned Big South All-Tournament Team honors
- Softball… The PC softball team was in action in the Elon Phoenix Tournament over the weekend… On Saturday morning they took a 12-5 win over Fairleigh Dickinson (for more details click here) but Saturday they fell to the host Elon team 7-2 (for details click here)… Now the remainder of the tournament was cancelled due to snow at Elon… PC was scheduled to play a doubleheader against Appalachian State today but those game have been moved to tomorrow starting at 2 pm.
- Baseball… The PC baseball team traveled down to plains of Alabama this past weekend to take on the Auburn Tigers… On Friday PC took an 11-8 win but lost on Saturday and Sunday by scores of 7-5 and 8-0… For more information on these games click here which will take you to the PC baseball homepage… The team is scheduled to travel to Georgia tomorrow for a 4:00 pm game with The Dawgs and it can be seen on the SEC Network.
Local Sports Notes: Now as you most likely can guess all the local sporting events I know about were postponed yesterday due to the weather… I do have one or two items to “catch up on”.
- JV Baseball: Riverside 8 – Laurens 1… In action prior to the varsity game last Friday night, the Warrior JV baseball team took an 8-1 win over the Raiders… The game was tied 1-1 going into the bottom of the 6th inning when the Warriors struck for 7 runs and held on to take the win… Sorry no other details.
All-Star Basketball Results
- Clinton 12U Basketball Team Falls One game Short… The Clinton 12U All-stars boys’ basketball team lost in the championship game to Sumter 41-33 to finish 2nd in the Jerry Coffey Invitational Basketball Tournament at the Newberry County YMCA Saturday… The tournament began with the All-stars defeating Newberry Friday night 42-18.. .Wil Stewart knocked down 5 3’s to lead the all-stars finishing with 17 points… Austin Copeland, Jy Leake, and Wilson Wages led a brilliant effort holding Newberry to just 9 points in both the 1st and 2nd half… Saturday morning the all-stars lost to Sumter 38-31… Leading the scoring was Jy Leake with 13 points… The 2nd game of the day saw the allstars in rematch with Newberry. The game came down to the last shot. With the all-stars leading 38-37, Newberry hit 1 of 2 foul shots with 8 seconds left… With 3.6 seconds on the clock and the ball at half court, Head Coach Matt Stewart called Clinton’s last timeout… Jy Leake took the inbounds pass dribble twice and promptly knocked down game winning 3 pointer as time ran out giving Clinton a 41-38 win… The win set up a rematch against Sumter who was undefeated and the all-stars would have to defeat twice to win the championship… Clinton pulled away in the 4th quarter of the first game to take a 52-42 win to set up a winner take all championship game… Wil Stewart with 20 and Wilson Wages 22 points led Clinton offensively… The championship game saw Sumter take a 41-33 win… Playing its 4th game of the day, the all-stars just ran out of gas… Head Coach Matt Stewart commented after the game: “Great tournament, our kids played hard the entire time… We have an amazingly competitive group and they are a pleasure to coach… Hats off to Sumter, they’re a quality team, we just ran out of gas and had no legs left in that 4th game today.”.. The team roster was composed of: Austin Copeland, Justin Copeland, Jayden Copeland, Jy Leake, Qua Bryant, Kevardrick Richardson, Zay Johnson, Wilson Wages, Wil Stewart, and Jackson Martin… Coaches were Matt Stewart and Vincent Copeland.
- Laurens 12U Girls basketball Team Wins State Championship… Now I don’t have many other details other than the final score but a team of girl all-stars from the City of Laurens Parks and Recreation girls basketball team won the state championship by defeating Florence 47-24 last Saturday… Congratulation to the team.
College Notes: Let The Madness Begin…
- D-I Men’s Tournament… Well as most of the true college basketball fans know the brackets were announced Sunday for this year’s version of March Madness… In case you missed the announcement show last evening don’t worry I have links to all you need to now here… Villanova, Kansas, North Carolina and Gonzaga each were seeded #1 in the overall 4 area brackets…Now if you would like to see how the 68 teams were ranked 1-68 click here… South Carolina made it in with a #26 ranking and Winthrop is also in with a # 54 ranking and are the only two schools from the Palmetto State to make it in… South Carolina will be playing at 9:50 Friday night at what hopefully will become the Colonial Life Center North also known as the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville taking on Marquette… To see who else is playing at The Well in addition to SC and Marquette as well as the entire interactive bracket click here.
- NIT… While the Clemson Tigers did not make it into the NCAA D-I tournament they did make it into the field of 32 that make makeup this year’s NIT field… The Tigers will jump right in and host Oakland tonight night in an 8:00 pm contest that can be seen on ESPNU… Now to see the entire NIT bracket, click here.
- D-I Women’s Tournament… Last night the NCAA announced who will be participating in the women’s version of March Madness and of course UConn who drew the #1 seed in the entire tournament… The other three teams that drew a #1 seed in the other three regionals were Notre Dame, Baylor and South Carolina… The tournament kicks off Friday and the Gamecocks will host UNC-Ashville in a 5:00 pm game at the Colonial Life Center… That game can be seen on ESPN 2… Now to see the entire bracket in an interactive format, click here.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Softball: Tuesday 3-14-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm… Postponed at Riversides request
- Baseball: Friday 3-17-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: Crusaders baseball travels to Southside Christian Thursday (3-16) and will play a doubleheader of 5 innings per game to make up game postponed 3-13 and the scheduled game that day.
This & That:
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raiser called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets on Sale… The Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame will induct eight members into its first class on March 30, 2017… The induction ceremony will be held at The Ridge at Laurens at 6:30pm… Tickets are on sale now at the Clinton YMCA, Laurens YMCA and Farm Bureau… Individual tickets are $25 and include the meal catered by Lee’s BBQ… The deadline to purchase tickets is March 24… No tickets will be sold at the door… For more information as to whom the inductees are and about the LCSHOF click here.