Local Sports Notes:
- Baseball: Laurens 3 – Wade Hampton 0…. The Laurens Raider baseball team traveled up to Greenville last night to take on the Wade Hampton Generals… Laurens scored 1 run in the first inning without a hit and then added two in the seventh on only 1 hit to take a 3-0 win over the Generals… Jared Cvetko picked up the win striking out 13 while walking 1 and giving up just 3 hits… The Raiders had only 3 hits in the game and Layton Mahon had 2 of them… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-14-Wade Hampton-B… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-14-Wade Hampton-B-scorebook
- Soccer: Wade Hampton 8 – Laurens 0…. Sometimes I don’t get scores the day of the event or even the day after and that is the case with the boys soccer match against Wade Hampton last Thursday (3-9-17) where Wade Hampton took an 8-0 win… The Raiders defended well in the beginning, but conceded two goals in the middle of the first half. The main objective for the Raiders was to defend properly and defend well during the first half. The halftime score was 2-0, with the Generals leading. During the second half, the Raiders switched their focus to attack. Unfortunately, that only opened up the Raider defense and allowed more goals for Wade Hampton in the second half. The final score was Wade Hampton defeating the Laurens Raiders 8-0.
- Baseball / Softball Complex Dedication… I’d like to be sure that all Red Devil fans know that tomorrow night the Red Devils will have ta ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony for the new baseball / softball complex on the campus of the CHS… The ceremony starts at 7:00 pm so make plans to come over and help celebrate the beginning of some new traditions at the new facilities and a continuation of the best of CHS baseball and softball.
- Soccer: Southside Christian 5 – Clinton 1… The Red Devil soccer team was I action yesterday as they played host to the Southside Christian Sabres… The match was tied 1-1 at the half but the Sabres scored 4 goals in the second half to take a 5-1 win… Parker Duncan had the lone goal for the Red Devils with Elvis Fitz getting an assist… Clinton got 15 shots on goal to Christ Church’s 14 and Hamp Barnes saved 3 of them while the Sabres goal tender had 6 saves… Clinton is now 1-6 on the season.
- Softball: Whitmire 13 – Clinton 12… Now catching up with a score from Red Devil softball that I did not get until yesterday morning, last Thursday the Clinton softball team hosted the Whitmire Wolverines and the game went back and forth with Clinton 12-9 going into the top of the seventh inning where Whitmire scored 4 runs and held Clinton scoreless in the bottom of the inning to take a 13-12 win… Hunter Benson led the Red Devils going 3-3 with a double, a homerun and 4 RBIs… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-9-CHSS-Whitmire … For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-9-CHSS-Whitmire-scorebook
- Baseball: Christ Church 11 – LA 10… The Laurens Academy Crusaders traveled up to Greenville to take on the Christ Church Cavaliers… The Crusaders jumped out to an early lead as they led 6-3 in the top of the second inning… The Cavaliers battled back and tied the game 9-9 by the time the fifth inning rolled around… Going into the top of the seventh inning the cavaliers led 11-9 and the Crusaders were able to get one run back but fell 11-10… Sorry no other details…
- Oakland 74 – Clemson 69… Oakland overcame a 20-point deficit to defeat Clemson in the NIT on last night, 74-69…. The Tigers ended their season with a 17-16 overall record, while the Golden Grizzlies improved to 25-8 to advance to the next round of the NIT… For more information on this contest, click here.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Baseball: Friday 3-17-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm
- Softball: Tuesday 3-21 -17 as the Raiders host the Mauldin Mavericks at 7:30 pm
- Baseball: Thursday 3-23-17 as the Raiders host Woodruff at 6:00 pm
- Baseball: Friday 3-24-17 as the Raiders host Mauldin at 7:30 pm
Local Sports Schedule:
- The Laurens Raiders are scheduled to host the Clinton JV & varsity teams today at Ed Prescott Field starting at 5:00 and 7:30
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: Crusaders baseball travels to Southside Christian Thursday (3-16) and will play a doubleheader of 5 innings per game to make up game postponed 3-13 and the scheduled game that day.
This & That:
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday march 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raiser called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets on Sale… The Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame will induct eight members into its first class on March 30, 2017… The induction ceremony will be held at The Ridge at Laurens at 6:30pm… Tickets are on sale now at the Clinton YMCA, Laurens YMCA and Farm Bureau… Individual tickets are $25 and include the meal catered by Lee’s BBQ… The deadline to purchase tickets is March 24… No tickets will be sold at the door… For more information as to whom the inductees are and about the LCSHOF click here.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.