Local Sports Notes:
Clinton at Laurens Baseball
- Laurens 13 – Clinton 0 (5)… The Red Devils and the Raiders faced off for the first of their two-games series this season last night at cold Ed Prescott Field and the Raiders took a 13-0 win in 5 innings… The Red Devil bats were as cold as the weather and their defense was not what you usually see from a Red Devil team as they committed 8 errors while the Raiders had just 7 hits but were the recipient of 8 walks in addition to the Red Devil errors… Ty Foster went 4-4 for the Raiders with 2 RBIs to lead his team… Dakota Webb and Thomas Hellams had the two Red Devil hits… Nate Towels picked up the win and Dawson Green the loss… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-3-15-Clinton-B … For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-3-15-Clinton-B-scorebook
- JV Baseball: Laurens 7 – Clinton 6… In JV action prior to the varsity game last night, the Raiders took a come-from behind 7-6 win over Clinton… Clinton led most of the game but the Raiders came back a scored 3 runs in the bottom of the seventh to take the win… Jalen Nance had a walk-off double to scoring the winning run.
- Tennis: Boiling Springs 6 – Laurens 1… The Raider tennis team was also in action last night as they traveled to boiling springs to take on the Bulldogs (and the cold weather)… When the final volley was finished the Bulldogs had taken a 6-1 win over the Raiders… Murphy Rush picked up the Raiders lone win in singles action… Afterwards Coach Horner stated “The guys played a tough match on a cold night… The Raiders played hard but battling quality opponents and tough weather condition made every shot difficult.”
- Baseball / Softball Complex Dedication… I’d like to be sure that all Red Devil fans know that tonight the Red Devils will have ta ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony for the new baseball / softball complex on the campus of the new CHS… The ceremony starts at 7:00 pm so make plans to come over and help celebrate the beginning of some new traditions at the new facilities and a continuation of the best of CHS baseball and softball… By the way the varsity softball teams are hosting Chapman tonight baseball teams are hosting Abbeville.
- College baseball Rankings… In this week’s D1Baseball.com college baseball rankings there is a new #1 as Florida State moves up from #3 to #1 knocking TCU from #1 to #3 with Oregon State also moving upward from #4 to #2… Louisville and Florida come in at #4 and #5 respectively… Spots 6-10 are occupied by Texas Tech, LSU, South Carolina, Arizona and Cal State Fullerton… Clemson moved upwards this week from #14 to #13 and Coastal Carolina is the only other state team in the rankings at #23… To see the entire pool, click here.
- March Madness Kicks Off Today… As most true college basketball fan would tell you, March Madness kicks off in earnest today.. I’ll remind you that if you look in the “Featured Sports” section on the right lower side of our homepage at WLBG.com you will find a posting that has links to the interactive brackets for both the men’s and women’s tournament as well as the NIT bracket… Sorry it is not interactive.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Baseball: Friday 3-17-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton at 7:30 pm
- Softball: Tuesday 3-21 -17 as the Raiders host the Mauldin Mavericks at 7:30 pm
- Baseball: Thursday 3-23-17 as the Raiders host Woodruff at 6:00 pm
- Baseball: Friday 3-24-17 as the Raiders host Mauldin at 7:30 pm
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: Crusaders baseball travels to Southside Christian Thursday (3-16) and will play a doubleheader of 5 innings per game to make up game postponed 3-13 and the scheduled game that day.
This & That:
- BBQ at the Plate… On Friday March 17th the Raider baseball team will be having a fund raiser called BBQ at the Plate… You will have a choice of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich and either comes with baked beans coleslaw or potato chips and tea… The cost will be $8 per plate and tickets can be obtained from any Raider baseball player… I suggest you get your tickets before that night as they are only fixing a little more than preordered and I can’t promise that you will be able to get a meal that night unless you do preorder.
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame Banquet Tickets on Sale… The Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame will induct eight members into its first class on March 30, 2017… The induction ceremony will be held at The Ridge at Laurens at 6:30pm… Tickets are on sale now at the Clinton YMCA, Laurens YMCA and Farm Bureau… Individual tickets are $25 and include the meal catered by Lee’s BBQ… The deadline to purchase tickets is March 24… No tickets will be sold at the door… For more information as to whom the inductees are and about the LCSHOF click here.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.