Local Sports Notes:
Blackshire and Ginn Sign to Continue Their Education and Sports Careers…. Last Thursday in the main gym at LDHS Daniel Blackshire and C.J. Ginn were honored for having signed letters of intent to continue their education and athletic careers… Blackshire an offensive lineman on the Raider Region Championship Team signed with North Greenville University where he plans on majoring in business administration… He will join fellow Raider offensive lineman Hunter Medlin who signed earlier… Ginn signed to continue her softball career and major in biology at Francis Marion University…. She is finishing her six year career at LDHS on the softball team where she has started for four years… She is a two-time All-Region Player… Coach Liner and Coach Clark both spoke about the careers of their respective players and the dedication both on and off the field displayed by these fine young athletes…. Congratulations to Daniel and C.J.
- Baseball: Dobyns-Bennett 9 – Laurens 4… On Friday the Raider baseball team took on the Tribe of Dobyns-Bennett HS a team out of Kingsport, TN. in third game in the Easley Spring Break Tournament… The Raiders had 9 hits in the game and scored 4 runs but the Tribe had 11 hits and that included a pair of two-run homers that produced 9 runs thus handing the Raiders a 9-4 loss… The Raider had a 2-0 lead going into the bottom of the second inning when the Tribe put 5 runs on the board (two of them off one of the homeruns) and the Raiders put 2 on the board in the 5th inning to make the score 5-4 but the Tribe let them get no closer butting a 4 spot on the board in the bottom of the 6th … For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-4-14-BB-Dobyns-Bennett… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-4-14-BB-Dobyns-Bennettl-Scorecard
- Baseball: Laurens 6 – Emerald 0… On Saturday the Raider baseball team rebounded and took a 6-0 win over Emerald to finish their competition in the Easley Spring Break Tournament… Laurens broke open a scoreless game in the top of the fourth inning as they put 5 runs on the board and added an insurance run in the fifth and Nick Howell kept the Vikings at bay as he pitched a complete game shutout… He scattered 3 hits while striking out 7 and walking none… Ethan Jones and Jalen Bragg led the Raider 8 hit attack with 2 hits each and they both had a double… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-4-15-BB-Emerald… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-4-15-BB-Emerald-Scorecard
- Baseball: Clinton 4 – Broome 1… The Red Devil baseball team was on the road last Friday as they traveled to Spartanburg to take on the Broome Centurions in region action… With two outs in the top of the first inning, Aaron Copeland had a solo homer to put the Red Devils up 1-0… Broome tied the game with a run in the bottom of the second but the Red Devils bounced right back with a run in the top of the third to go up 2-1 and never trailed again as they went on to take a 4-1 win… The Red Devils got their 4 runs on 8 hits while Charlie Craven picked up the complete game win giving up the 1 earned run while scattering 3 hits, striking out 4 and walking 2… Cameron Bishop was the only Red Devil to get more than one hit as he went 2-4… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-4-14-BB-CHS-Broome… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-4-14-BB-CHS-Broome-scorecard
- Softball: Broome 10 – Clinton 0… While the baseball team was up at Broome last Friday the softball team was hosting the Lady Centurions and they were just too nice a host as Broome took a 10-0 win… Broome broke a scoreless tie putting 6 runs on the board in the third inning and then added a pair of runs in the fifth and sixth inning to take the win… Broome had 9 hits to Clinton’s 5 but were aided by 4 Red Devil errors… The Red Devils’ 5 hits were scattered among 5 different players but Hunter Benson’s was a double… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-4-14-SB-CHS-Broome… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-4-14-SB-CHS-Broome-Scorebook
- Braves: The Braves hosted the Padres in their home opening series in their new home north of Atlanta called Sun Trust Park…. The Braves managed to take 2 of the 3 games this weekend… On Friday they won in the home opener by a score of 5-2…. Then on Saturday they won by a score of 4-2 and Sunday by a score of 9-2 to sweep the series… For more information on any of these games, click on their score…. The Braves are now 5-6 on the season and start a 4-game series with the Washington Nationals at home tonight.
- Drive: The Drive continued their road trip over the weekend and as you may recall they lost to the Ashville Tourist 3-1 on Thursday… On Friday they rebounded to take a 6-0 win over the Tourist but lost 5-4 on Saturday… Yesterday the Drive managed a split of the series as they took a 4-2 win over Ashville… For more information on any of these games, click on their score… The Drive are now 7-4 on the season and stay on the road traveling to Lexington, Ky. To start a 3-game series with the Legends
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Softball: Monday 4-17-17 as the Raiders travel to Clinton to take on the Clinton Red Devils at 7:00pm (Provided I get permission in time)
- Softball: Wednesday 4-19-17 as the Raiders host Hillcrest in varsity action at 7:30 and for Diner on the Diamond.
- Baseball or Softball: Thursday 4-20-17 vs. Clinton to be decided later.
- Softball: Friday 4-21-17 as the Raiders host Mauldin in varsity action at 7:30
- Baseball: Saturday, 4-22-17 as the Raiders host Greenwood at 7:30, Senior Night
- Softball: Monday, 4-24-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: The Crusaders host Greenwood Christian Thursday at 6:00 pm.
This & That:
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.