Local Sports Notes:
- Softball: Laurens 13 – Hillcrest 3… The Raider softball team hosted the Hillcrest Rams last night and it was key region game as Hillcrest came into the game with a 7-1 region record with their only loss coming against and with one region game to go after last night and they were in first place in the region… The Raiders came into the game with a 4-2 region record in third place with 3 more region games to go after last night and trying to catch the Rams and Mauldin who they face Friday… Hillcrest put 3 runs on the board in the top of the fiest inning but the Raiders got those back in the bottom of the inning then added 4 more in the second to take a lead they would never relinquish as the Raiders went on to take a 13-3 win in 5 innings improving their region record to 5-2 and dropping Hillcrest to 7-2 in the region… The Raiders added 2 more runs in the fourth inning and 4 in the in the fifth to end the game on the 10-run rule… Rachel Delio picked up the complete game win giving up the 3 unearned runs on 6 hits while striking out 4 and walking none… The Raiders had 10 hits with Matti Cantrell and Ansley Nelson getting 2 hits each… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-4-19-SB-Hillcrest… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-4-19-SB-Hillcrest-scorebook… The Raiders will be at home today taking on the Clinton Red Devils with the varsity game starting at 7:00 m and it can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streaming online at wlbg.com
- Tennis: Laurens 5 – BHP 2… Catching up with the Raider tennis team which was in action back on Tuesday but I didn’t get the results until yesterday, the traveled over to BHP to take on the Bears and the ride home was a happy one as they took a 5-2 win over the Bears… Carter Vincent, Andrew Taylor and Murphey Rush all took wins in singles action… Andrew Dominick and Vincent took a win as the #1 doubles team and the #2 doubles team of Remy Clark and Allen Davis were also victorious
- Tennis: Mauldin 7 – Laurens 0… Last night the Raider tennis team hosted the Mavericks of Mauldin High School who are undefeated in region play… It was Senior Night for the Raiders and the Raider lineup was mostly seniors… Mauldin played like they were the #1 team in the region as they defeated Laurens 7-0… Afterwards Coach Andrew Horner commented “The guys came out and played hard in front of a good crowd… The night was filled with good fun and great food… A special thanks goes out to the great parents who supplied food, spent the evening grilling the hamburgers and hot dogs, and all the great camaraderie among the Raiders… The Mavericks joined us in celebrating a wonderful night of food and fun.”… The final match of the year will be at Riverside High School Friday the 21st.
- New Assistant Football Coaches…. Well as most folks in the area had already heard, the Laurens football coaching staff will be losing 3 members of its staff from last season… Yesterday it was announced that Lee Taylor, Jamie Childress and Austin White will be recommended to the District 55 Board of Trustees to replace those coaches moving on… Most notably Taylor stepped down a few weeks ago after serving as head coach at Mauldin HS for the last few years and Childress is an LDHS graduate…. To see the text of the announcement which has more information about each of the three new coaches, click on the following: New Asst. Football Coaches, 4-19-17. .
- Softball: Woodruff 7 – Clinton 5… I need to catch up with the Red Devil softball team that was in action Tuesday up at Woodruff but I did not get the score until yesterday… The Red Devils led 4-3 going into the bottom of the 5th inning when Woodruff put a 3 spot on the board and then added one in the 6th and then held on to take a 7-5 win over Clinton… Hunter Benson led the Red Devils as she had 3 of their 6 hits… Kam Aiken took the loss… For the game’s box score and stats click on the following: 17-4-18-SB-CHS-Woodruff… For the game’s scorecard click on the following: 17-4-18-SB-CHS-Woodruff-scorebook … The team plays at Laurens at 7:00 pm tonight.
- Nationals 14 – Braves 4… After winning 5 straight games, the Braves have now lost 2 in-a-row as the Washington Nationals behind Brice Harper’s two home runs (one a grand slam) defeated the Braves last night in Atlanta 14-4… For more information on this game, click here.
- Drive 4 – Legends 2… The Greenville Drive completed their current road trip with a 4-2 win over the Lexington Legends yesterday… For more details on this game click here… The Drive return home tonight to start a home series with the first team in town being the Rome Braves… First pitch at Flour Field is scheduled for 7:05.
Broadcast Notes: Real Radio 860 WLBG will be bringing you the following contest and as usual they will also be streamed on the internet at www.wlbg.com…
- Softball: Thursday 4-20-17 vs. Clinton at LDHS at 7:00 .
- Softball: Friday 4-21-17 as the Raiders host Mauldin in varsity action at 7:30
- Baseball: Saturday, 4-22-17 as the Raiders host Greenwood at 7:30, Senior Night
- Softball: Monday, 4-24-17 as the Raiders host Wade Hampton.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week, click here
- Laurens Academy: The Crusaders travel to Richard Winn on Thursday for a 6:00 pm contest
This & That:
- Senior Night for Raider Baseball is scheduled for Saturday, April 22. The JV game will begin at 4:30 with senior recognitions to follow. The Varsity game will begin at 7:30. Saturday also serves as Little League day. All Little League players and coaches will be allowed free admission to the games as long as they have on their Little League jersey. The cost of admission is $5.00 for all others. There will be a bounce house on sight for the kids to enjoy. The cost for the Bounce House will be $2.00. Little League players will be allowed to run the bases at the end of the Varsity game. Please come and support the Raider Baseball team as this is their final game of the Regular Season.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.