A four-year-old Waterloo child was badly burned late Monday morning when his shirt caught fire. Deputy Ronald Richey was dispatched to Deer Valley Road, Waterloo at 11:49 yesterday morning. He spoke with the child’s mother who indicated she was in the living room watching her twins when her four-year-old son ran into the residence screaming. The mother observed the child was burned. It appears he used a lighter to ignite a flammable material that was in a flower-pot on the deck outside. Deputy Richey reported observing a tan burned material near the flower-pot along with a partially burned white t-shirt. Sheriff’s Lt. Judy Stiles said the child was badly burned from his neck over his torso. EMS gave initial treatment to the child, who was then air-lifted to the Augusta, Georgia burn center.
We understand the child is expected to recover from his injuries.