- Florida Tech 28 – PC 7… The Blue Hose football team had its home opener last Saturday night as they faced off against the undefeated Florida Tech Panthers… Unfortunately the Panthers left Clinton still undefeated as they took a 28-7 win over the Blue Hose… Now for more information about this game including comments from Coach Nichols, click here.
- Volleyball: CHS 3 – Broome 2… Catching up on Red Devil volleyball from last Thursday, the Lady Red Devils hosted the Lady Centurions of Broome in region action… It was aback and forth match but in the end Clinton took a 3-2 win to keep their region record perfect at 4-0… Clinton won the first set 25-21 but dropped the second one 15-25… The Red Devils rebounded to take the third set 26-24 but fell 18-25 in the fourth set… The fifth and deciding set went to the Red Devils by a score of 15-8.
- JV Volleyball: CHS 2 – Broome 1… In JV action prior to the varsity action the Red Devil JV volleyball team took a 2-1 win over Broome… Broome took the first set by a score of 25-20 but the Red Devils rebounded to take the next two sets by scores of 25-19 and 15-8 to win the match.
- Summie Carlay and Jalin Walker Selected For Shrine Bowl… Yesterday afternoon according to a posting on the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas website, two LDHS seniors have been named to the 2016 SC Shrine Bowl roster… They are University of South Carolina commit Summie Carlay and Coastal Carolina commit Jaylin Walker… Carlay is a 6’5” 285 pound offensive lineman for the Raiders while Walker is a 6’2” 300 pound defensive lineman… The Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas is a charity event put on by the Shriners of North and South Carolina to help support the Shriners Hospitals in the area… The 80th edition is scheduled for Saturday, December 17, 2016 and will be held at Gibbs Stadium on the campus of Wofford College… Kickoff will be at 2 p.m.…. To see the complete SC roster, click on the following …. Congratulations to these fine young men
- Laurens District 55 Hall of Fame adds Four New Members… On Friday, September 23, 2016 the Laurens District 55 Hall of Fame Committee of 2016 inducted three former athletes and one coach to the Hall of Fame. They were Albert Garrett, Stan Whitlock, Marcus Whitmore and Coach Eddie West…. I have a posting in the “Between the Lines” section of our home page that has not only information about the new members but also video of the induction ceremony… To go to that posting, click here.
- JV Football Update… Last Friday I reported that the Raider JV football team lost to Dorman by a score of 39-30 at Dorman… At that time I did not have any details on the game… Since then Coach Jawon Stevenson has kindly provided me some details… The following narrative is from Coach Stevenson; The game started off very nice for our team… We were able to stop Dorman on the opening possession of the game… On our first possession of the game, we were able to drive the ball and get on the board first… Duane Martin found the end zone for his first score… The conversion attempt failed… Dorman was able to come right back and take the lead a few plays later… After a possession that ended in a punt for Laurens, Dorman again scored to take the lead to 14-6… We in turn came back to score and tie the game at 14… Dorman added another score before half to take the lead… We were able to score coming out and get back into the game and make it competitive throughout the 2nd half of the contest… Dorman stretched the lead to 39-24 midway through the 4th quarter… Late in the contest, we were able to put a late touchdown on the board to cut the lead to 39-30… The failed 2pt conversion sealed the game as we had no timeouts remaining in the contest… The onside kick attempt failed, allowing Dorman to kneel, and run out the clock… We had several players provide positive play Thursday night… These players include Duane Martin, Kobe Williams, Will Tinsley, Tracy McClintock and Devante Grant… The offensive line consisting of Jordan Austin, Devon Harp, Will Pontoon, Jervis Young, Andrew Shelton, and Ty Davis allowed the coaches to freely call plays; executing all night.
- Tennis: LDHS 4 – Hillcrest 3… The Lady Raider tennis team was in action last Thursday as they traveled to Hillcrest to take on the Rams… The ride back down I-385 & Hwy 14 was a pleasant one as the Raiders took a 4-3 win… Taking wins in singles action for the Raiders were Ella Orcutt, Julianne Turner, and Abby Davis… The #1 doubles team of Orcutt and Turner picked up the 4th win for the Raiders.
Middle School Athletics
- Volleyball: Westview 3 – Sanders 1… The Sanders Lady Yellow Jacket volleyball team traveled to Greenwood to take on the Lady Titans of Westview MS… The results were not what I like to report as Westview took a 3-1 win… It was a hard fought match with the Titans winning the first 2 sets by scores of 29-27 and 25-22… Sanders took the third set 25-16 but dropped the fourth 25-23… Sanders drops to 1-2 in conference play.
- Volleyball: GCO 3 – HT 0… Also yesterday, the Lady Tigers of GCO traveled to HT to take on the Lady Panthers and the ride home was a pleasant one as GCO took a 3-0 win in another hard fought match… Set scores were 25-23, 25-23 & 25-19.
- Volleyball: Northside 3 – LMS 0… The Lady Tigers of LMS also were in action yesterday and they also were on the road traveling to Northside MS in Greenwood to take on the Lady Knights… Once again I have a score that I wish I didn’t have to report as Northside took a 3-0 win… Set scores were 25-21, 25-12 & 25-22… The LMS coach had these comments after the match “The girls did a better job tonight with receiving. It took the girls a long time to finally get their heads in the game. Maria Diaz-Reynoso, 8th grader did a great job serving with a 5 serve streak in the 1st set. Haley Orrick, 7th grader did a great job serving in the 2nd set with a 6 point streak. The girls really battled in the 3rd set but came up.”
- Braves… The Braves were off last night and will start their last home stand of the season tonight as the Phillies come to town.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS and District 55 middle schools, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS and CMS, click here
Broadcast Notes… .
- Varsity Football: Our next Laurens varsity football broadcast will be this Friday night when Laurens travels to Hillcrest to start region play as they take on the Hillcrest Rams… We will start with our Friday Night Insiders program at 5:30 followed by Stan Olenick & Mike Anthony and then go live about 6:35 with Doug Holiday calling the game and King Dixon adding his analysis of the game… Mike Hughes will report from the sideline…Our FM in-stadium transmitter will be set on 95.7 or 107.7 depending on which I find best when I get there… Also remember the game will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
This & That: [Read more…]