- Clinton vs. Laurens Volleyball… Last night both the Clinton Red Devil and the Laurens Raider volleyball teams opened their season playing each other… Now I don’t have any details but I can tell you that in varsity action Clinton took a 3-0 win over Laurens with set scored being 25-10, 25-19 and 25-14… In JV action before that, the Red Devils were again victorious as the won both sets one by a score of 25-9 and the other by a score of 25-13 to win the match 2-0.
- PC Athletics Featured on Local TV Today… Presbyterian College Athletic Director Brian Reese and head football coach Harold Nichols, along with “The Voice of the Blue Hose” Eric Thacker, will make an appearance on Your Carolina with Jack Roper and Megan Heidelberg this morning. ..The show airs at 10 a.m. on WSPA Channel 7 in the Upstate…The trio will be appearing on the show to discuss Presbyterian athletics as a whole, as well as promoting the upcoming 2016 football season, which is set to begin in just nine days… Nichols and the Blue Hose travel to Central Michigan on September 1 to open the season.
- Countdown to Kickoff… Well its only 2 days until Laurens and Clinton open their football season as the Raiders travel to Clinton to take on the Red Devils in the opening game of the season for both teams on August 26th… Also on the same date Laurens Academy opens their season at home against Hilly Hill Academy… Now PC fans have to wait until Sept 1st which is 7 days away for the Blue Hose to open their season on the road at Central Michigan and 31 days (Sept. 24th) for the home opener with Florida Tech.
Broadcast Notes… WLBG will start its football coverage as we bring you the Clinton at Laurens JV game live from Laurens Middle School Thursday at 6:00 pm… Then on Friday we will have the battle for the County Championship as Laurens travels to Clinton … We will start with our Friday Night Insiders program at 5:30 followed by Stan Olenick & Mike Anthony and then go live to Wilder Stadium about 6:35 with Doug Holiday calling the game and King Dixon adding his analysis of the game… Mike Hughes will report from the sideline.
- Braves 7 – D-backs 4… In game 2 of their 4-game series with the D-Backs last night out in Arizona, the Braves took a rare cone from behind 7-4 win… The Braves trailed 4-2 at the end of three innings last night when the cut the lead to putting a run on the board in the 4th to cut the D-Backs lead to 1 then put 3 on the board in the 8th inning to take the lead and added an insurance run in the 9th to make the final 7-4… The Braves bats were hot last night as they pounded out 12 hits while six Braves pitcher held the D-Backs to just 5… Adonis Garcia led the Braves going 3-5… For more information on this game, click here.
- Green Jackets 2 – Drive 1 (10)… The Greenville Drive started a 3-game series with the Augusta Green jackets last night down in Augusta…. It turned out to be a pitcher’s duel as the two teams combined for only 3 runs but bad news for Drive fans as Augusta had 2 of them taking a 2-1 win in 10 innings… Augusta scored first in the 1st inning and Greenville tied it in the 5th inning… The game remained scoreless until the 10th when the Green Jackets had a two-out walk off single that drove in the winning run…For more information on this game, click here.
NASCAR… It’s been a while since we had time to check in on NASCAR so let’s correct that now..
- Sprint Cup Standings… After last week’s race, Kevin Harvick moved up one spot to claim the lea in the Sprint Cup Standings with 762 points… Last week’s leader Brad Keselowski dropped one spot 27 points behind Harvick… Hurt Busch, Carl Edwards & Joey Logano round out the top 5 in that order… Sports 6-10 are held by Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Martin Truex Jr., Jimmie Johnson & matt Kenseth..
- This Week’s Schedule… Well there are only 3 races remaining before the Chase for the Sprint Cup starts and the race this weekend is the Pure Michigan 400 at the Michigan International Speedway this Sunday… The green flag is scheduled to drop at 2 pm and it can be seen on the NBC Sports Network.
This & That: [Read more…]