Baseball… The Blue Hose baseball team was in action this week in the Big South Tournament down in Lexington, SC
- Gardner-Webb 5 – PC 3… The Blue Hose opened play in the last game of the night on Tuesday as they too0k on the Running Bulldogs of G-W… PC jumped on top early taking a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning but G-W tied it up with 2 in the second and then took the lead with 2 in the fifth as they went on to take a 5-3 win… Now for more information on this game, click here
- Radford 16 – PC 8… The loss on Tuesday night dropped the Blue Hose into the losers’ bracket where they had to play the Radford Highlanders just in the early afternoon on Wednesday… Radford came into the contest with a 17-38 overall record while PC had a 27-29 record… PC had an 6-4 lead going into the top of the 8th inning when the underdog Highlanders struck for 10 runs … The Blue Hose were able to get 2 of them back in the bottom of the inning but Radford got 2 in the top of the 9th and then held PC scoreless in the bottom of the inning to take a 16-8 win… For more information on this game, click here… PC finishes the season tied for the school’s Division I era record for wins with 27. They set the school record for Big South wins with 12 during the regular season, resulting in a sixth place finish, its best ever in the conference.
- Ryan Sneed to Play Baseball at Montreat… Yesterday senior catcher Ryan Sneed signed a letter of intent to continue his education and athletic career at Montreat College… Ryan was recruited by a couple of other colleges most notably Newberry but chose the Cavaliers because he liked the small campus atmosphere and had established a relationship with their recruiting coordinator during travel ball… He plans on majoring in exercise science and would like to become a physical therapist preferably for a professional sports team…. Congratulation to Ryan! Note: My thanks to Patty Davenport for the photo.
College Baseball Notes:
- Texas A&M 4 – South Carolina 1… The Gamecocks saw their SEC Tournament losing streak extended to 8 games yesterday as Texas A& M took a 4-1 win over the Gamecocks out in Hoover, Ala… The Aggies struck for 3 runs in the top of the second inning and the gamecocks got their only run in the bottom of the third… The Aggies added an insurance run in the top of the ninth and the Gamecocks just could not dig out of that hole… The Aggies improved to 42-14 while the Gamecocks drop to 42-15 on the year…. For more information on this game, click here… South Carolina awaits word on the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament field to be announced. The 16 Regional hosts will be announced starting at 8:30 p.m. (ET) on Sunday May 29 on the NCAA Baseball Social Media Channels @NCAACWS and https://www.facebook.com/NCAACWS. The 2016 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship Selection Show, with regional pairings, will be revealed in a live, one-hour telecast on ESPNU at Noon (ET), Monday, May 30…. For more information on other scores from the SEC Tournament yesterday and the complete tournament schedule, click here.
- Clemson 5 – Virginia 4… The sixth-seeded Tigers pushed across the winning run in the top of the ninth inning to slip past third-seeded and defending national champion Virginia, 5-4… Chase Pinder had a sacrifice fly to drive in Chris Williams with what would prove to be the winning run… Virginia threatened in the bottom of the inning but Clemson reliever Pat Krall kept them off the board… Clemson will now take on Louisville this morning at 11 am… If you would like to see scores from yesterday and the entire tournament schedule, click here.
- Southern Conference Results… ESTU 4 – Citadel 2 (Citadel eliminated, UNCG 9 – Wofford 6 (Wofford eliminated) and Mercer 6 – Furman1… Now for more information on these games and a look at the schedule for today, click here.
- Braves : The Braves lost to the Brewers 6-2.
- Drive: The Drive lost to the Rome Braves by a score of 7-4 last night in Rome, Ga.
This & That: [Read more…]