CHS: The Clinton Red Devils played host to the Union County Yellow Jackets last Friday night as they opened up region play.
- G: CHS 43 – UC 39 in OT… The Lady Red Devils got their region schedule off to a great start as they took a 43-39 win over the Lady Jackets in overtime breaking a losing streak that goes back to their second game of the season… The Lady Red Devils have been showing signs improvement in their last few games and that was evident Friday… MK Kelly led the team with 13 points but none bigger than the three-point bucket she hit with time running out in regulation to tie the game at 35-35 to send the game into overtime where the Red Devils outscored Union 7-4… The Lady Red Devils are now 2-12 on the season and 1-0 in region play.
- B: UC 63 – CHS 44… The news is not as good where the boys concerned as the Yellow Jackets took a 63-44 win over the Red Devils… As Coach Tosh Corley said afterwards “(We) just did not play very well”… Union was able to outrebound Clinton and just seemed to be able to get the loose balls more than Clinton did… The fact that he was a couple of players short due to injury and illness did not help… Tay Cook led the team with 21 points…. The Red Devils will be home tomorrow night as they host the Broome Centurions.
- JV B: CHS 51 – UC 41… Now doing a quick catch-up with the CHS JV teams who played at Union County last Thursday night, the Red Devil JV boys took a 51-41 win over Union… The score was 16-13 Red Devils at the end of the first quarter but they outscored Union 15-6 in the second quarter and then went on to take the win… Ty Priestley led the Red Devils with 15 points… Vilo Boyd added 9, Zay Bennett & Antonio Robinson 6 each, Sincere Hunt 5, Jahleed Cook 4 and 2 each for Kris Holmes, Jamarcus Cook & Nativeon Quarles.
- JV G: CHS 33 – UC 22… Sorry no other details.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders traveled to Easley last Friday night and about all the coaches got to me was the scores and little else but I’ll pass along what I know.
- G: LDHS 53 – EHS 26… The Lady Raiders are now 8-6 on the season and 2-2 in region play
- B: EHS 58 – LDHS 50… Unfortunately the news is not as good for the boys as Easley took a 58-50 win… The guys started off slow as they got down 32-14 in the first half and could not come back all the way… The Raiders record falls to 8-7 on the season and 2-2 in region play… The Raiders will be on the road tomorrow as they travel to Hanna.
Laurens Academy: Also last Friday night the Laurens Academy Crusaders played host to the Knights of Newberry Academy
- G: LA 45 – NA 22… In the girls’ game, the Lady Crusaders jumped out to a 15-7 lead at the end of the first quarter and 26-12 at the half and never looked back as they took a 45-22 over the Lady Knights… The leading scorer for LA was Ruthie Moore with 28 points… Others scoring for the Crusaders were Sydney Fisher 10, Taylor Campbell 2, Julia Kerber 2, Carmen McGee 2 and Kerington Armstrong 1… The girls are now 11-5 (3-0) on the season.
- B: LA 49 – NA 43… The boys’ game was a bit closer but the Crusaders prevailed by a score of 49-43… The Crusaders had a 1 point lead (19-18) at the half and then outscored the Knights by 2 in the third quarter and 3 in the fourth to take the win… Nate Martin led the Crusaders with 12 points… Others putting points on the board were Josh Urwick 11, Jonathan Burns 11, Joshua Moore 11, and Ryan Holmes 4…. The boys improve their record to 7-7 (2-0) and the Crusaders will host Richard Winn tomorrow.
College Sports: Well if by now you do not know that the Clemson Tigers and the Crimson Tide of Alabama will play for the College Football Championship tonight at 8:30 out in Arizona I must welcome you to this world or congratulate you on waking up from your coma… Either way, good luck to the Tigers and I hope Emil’s daughter-in-law is disappointed at midnight tonight… Sorry Leslie.
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more…]