- PC Women’s Basketball Summer Camp for Individuals… June 29 – July 1…This camp is for young ladies 7 -17 and will allow them to learn and improve their skills in the fundamentals of basketball in a fun-filled camp setting… If you would like to see the camp brochure which not only has all the information you need to know about the camp but also an application for the camp, click here.
- PC Football season Tickets… The Blue Hose will open their home football season on Sept 24th as they host Florida Tech…. In addition they will have 3 other home games…. Season tickets for the Blue Reserved seats are only $75 each… Bench reserved season tickets are $60 each… It’s not too early to go ahead and but in your application for season tickets… To go to the PC website where the season ticket order form is, click here… You will find out here how to get the optional season parking pass, single home game tickets (if available) and tickets to select away games…. For more information, call 864-833-8240.
- Laurens Little League Minors… The Laurens Little League Minor All-Star Team has been in action this week up in Easley and on Monday they defeated Greenwood 16-2… Then on Wednesday they defeated Wren Blue 13-10… These two wins but them in the into the district championship game tonight up at the JB Red Owens Complex tonight at 6 pm… Good luck to Coach Pridgen and the team!
- Clinton 11-12 Dixie youth All-Star team in Action Starting Today… The Clinton’s 11-12 year old Dixie youth All-stars will begin play in the District 3 O-Zone tournament today in Abbeville at 4pm against Batesburg-Leesville… The All-stars are looking to continue their remarkable 4 yr. run that includes 4 straight district titles, 2 state championships, and 2 top four finishes in the Dixie Youth World Series… The team is once again led by Head Coach Matt Stewart, assisted by Brian Fortman and Josh McClendon… The roster of 12 includes Jaylin Alexander, Davidson Pitts, Collin Stewart, Davis Wilson, Luke White, RT Corley, Zach Fortman, Wil Stewart, Zane McClendon, Justin Copeland, Austin Copeland, and Wilson Wages. Head Coach Matt Stewart commented “We’re excited to get started, we have an experienced, hard working group of players… District 3 is one of the toughest in the state with 8 teams playing for 1 spot in the state tournament… We’ll have to play really well to advance. Our goal remains the same as it has always been. Win one game!”… Good Luck to the team!!!
- Coastal Carolina 7 – Texas Tech 5… The Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina took a 7-5 win over the Texas Tech Red Raiders to remain alive in the CWS… For more information on this game, click here…. There are now only 4 teams remaining in the hunt for the National Championship… Oklahoma State and TCU are undefeated and would have to be beaten twice not to make it into the finals starting Monday… Coastal Carolina will take on TCU tonight at 8 pm on ESPN an as previously mentioned would have to beat TCU twice (today and tomorrow)… In the early game today (3pm on ESPN 2) Arizona will take on Oklahoma State and must beat OSU twice to make it to the finals on Monday….. Click here for the interactive bracket.
- Braves 4 – Mets 3… One night after having their 6-game winning streak broken, the Braves hopefully started another last night as they took a come-from-behind 4-3 win over the Mets in Atlanta… Atlanta trailed 3-2 going into the bottom of the 8th inning when the Braves third baseman Adonis Garcia had a 2-run homer that would prove to provide the winning runs… For more information on this game, click here…. EDITORIAL… Those who really know me know that I spent 3 decades umpiring various levels of baseball and softball at various levels including high school and some college softball… I spent over half that time officiating basketball so I am very reluctant to voice criticism or cast doubt on sports officials… Last night in my humble opinion the Braves tied the game 3-3 in the bottom of the 7th inning on a bang-bang play at home plate that that the umps missed even when reviewed by MLB in New York… I have 3 points of contention on the play… 1: The home plate ump was in foul territory on the first base side of the pate and not the third base side where his view would not have been blocked by the catcher… He had to look over and around the catcher to see the play develop…. 2: The catcher blocked the plate without the ball and did not leave the runner a path to the plate… That is a no-no… 3: Again in my humble opinion, the replays clearly show the runner contacting the catchers shin guards which were on the edge of the plate and pushed them back enough to make contact with the plate BEFORE the catcher applied the tag to the upper chest area of the runner… The plate ump had to guess where the tag was applied due to poor position… In New York MLB replay officials (umps and former umps I do believe) seeing this still did not overturn the bum call… They seem reluctant to change any calls at home plate that will affect the score of the game… On the bases no problem, they overturn when warranted… Hope we don’t have this situation in game 7 of the World Series… Hats off to Braves manager Brian Snitker for standing up for his team after the call and getting ejected… He still has a long way to go to catch up with former manager Bobby Cox’s 158 regular season ejections… I do miss Bobby sometimes.
- Lakewood 8 – Drive 7 (10)… The Greenville Drive returned to action last night after the all-star break and opened the second half of the season on a sour note as they lost to the Lakewood Blue Claws by a score of 8-7 in 10 innings last night up at Flour Field… The Drive trailed 7-5 going into the bottom of the 9th inning when they rallied to tie the game at 7 – 7 and send the game into extra innings… The Blue Claws had a solo homer in the top of the 10th that proved to be the winning run…. Click here for more information on this game… The same two teams will continue their series in Greenville over the weekend.
Countdown to Kickoff… Well its only 63 days until Laurens and Clinton open their football season as the Raiders travel to Clinton to take on the Red Devils in the opening game of the season for both teams on August 26th… Now PC fans have to wait until Sept 1st which is 69 days away for the Blue Hose to open their season on the road at Central Michigan and 92 days (Sept. 24th) for the home opener with Florida Tech.