CHS: The Clinton High Red Devils closed out their home regular season basketball schedule last Friday night as the Stallions of South Pointe HS…
- G: SP 51 – CHS 19… The Lady Red Devils knew they would have their hands full with the Lady Stallions as they are tied with Lancaster for the region lead and that indeed was the case as SP took a 51-19 win over the Ref Devils… MK Kelly led the team with 8 points while Savannah Campbell & Shauna Goforth had 3 points each… Record: 2-20 / 1-8.
- B: SP 74 – CHS 59… The CHS boys’ team also had their work cut out for them as they faced off against the region leading Stallions who have yet to loose in region play… As Coach Tosh Corley Tosh Corley stated afterwards “South Pointe is a very good basketball team and were able to put a lot of pressure on us and forced us into a fast paced game… I’m proud of the guys and the effort they gave tonight… We never gave up.”… SP jumped out to a 15-11 lead at the end of the first quarter and then outscored Clinton by at least two points in each of the following quarters in route to the win… The Red Devils had three players scoring in double-digits with Tay Cook leading the team with 18 points… Kiah Young added 15 and Tymori Tribble 10… Rounding out the Red Devil scoring you have Jalen Carter with 8, Junior Johnson with 4 and Josh Williams with 3… Record: 10-9 / 3-6… The Red Devils will complete their regular season schedule tomorrow ads they travel to Chester to take on the Cyclones.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders hosted the Easley Green Wave on Senior Night and it was a good night for the seniors as the Raiders won both contest.
- G: LDHS 70 – EHS 45… The Lady Raiders used their press to force Easley into numerous turnovers as they took a 70-45 win over the Green Wave… The Raiders opened up with a 17-12 lead at the end of the first quarter and continued to outscore the Green Wave in every quarter after that… In the second half the Raiders also took care of the ball as they limited their turnovers (7) to less than half that of the Green Wave (16)… After the game that was one thing Coach Yoneko Allen was proud of that and the hustle the team showed in the game… The Raiders had three players scoring in double-digits with Tieisha Jones leading the team with 15 points… Jessica Johnson added 14 while K.C. Cofield had 10… Others scoring for the Raiders were Malaysia Todd & Nasia Owens with 9 points each, Jadasia Bennett & Sparkle Mims with 4 each, Bre Nance 3 and Ke’Ny-Ja Spurgeon with 2… Record: 11-11 (5-7).
- B: LDHS 71 – EHS 61… The Raider boys’ team completed the sweep of the Green Wave with a 71 – 61 win… The Raiders jumped out 20-11 at the end of the first quarter and led 39-29 at the half and then went on to take the win… Often the Raiders appeared ready to run the Green Wave out of the gym but Easley would put on a mini-rally to close the gap and keep the game close… Often their rallies were sparked by 3-point goals as they had 13 of them in the game with 8 of them in the second half… Coach Sinclair was also happy to send his seniors out with a win on the final regular season game at LDHS of their career… The boys also had three player scoring in double-digits with Ladarius William getting 16 points to lead his team… Kezario Whitmore added 13 and E’Nicholas Leake 12… Rounding out the scoring for the Raiders you have both Toby Jackson and Ty Madden who had 9 points each, Chuck Johnson 5, KT Abney 3 and both Chris Statom & DJ Turner 2 each… Record: 15-7 (9-3)… The Raiders will travel to Greenville H.S. tomorrow night to take on the Red Raiders.
Laurens Academy: Also last Friday night the Laurens Crusaders closed out their regular season on the road as they traveled to Newberry Academy to take on the Eagles.
- G: LA 46 – NA 27… In the first girls’ game the two teams battled to a 10-10 tie at the end of the first quarter and the Lady Crusaders only led 17-15 at the half… The Lady Crusaders broke the game open in the third quarter outscoring the Lady Eagles 15-2 and then went on to take a 46-27 win… Scoring for the Lady Crusaders were Ruthie Moore 15, Taylor Campbell 11, Sydney Fisher 11, Morgan Marlett 6, Carmen McGee 2, and Hannah Stribling 1…. Record: 18-7 (7-2)… The Lady Crusaders will return to action this Friday night as they host an opponent to be determined in first round playoff action.
- B: LA 53 – NA 32… The boys’ game was not as close as the Crusaders jumped out to a 15-4 and were never really threatened after that… The dashed all of the Eagles hopes of a comeback in the third quarter as they outscored the Eagles 12-4 in that quarter… Nate Martin led the Crusaders in scoring with 24 points… Also scoring were Ryan Holmes 11, Jonathan Burns 4, Joshua Moore 4, Josh Urwick 3, Jack Kerber 3, Ryan Anderson 3, and Dawson Foster 1… Record: 13-9 (7-1)… The boys will also be in action next Friday in tournament play as they host a team to be determined.
Local Sports Schedule:
- 9th grade & JV basketball teams @ Greenville 5:00
- JV basketball host Chester 6:00
This & That:
Nominations Wanted for the LDHS Athletic Hall of Fame… The LDHS Athletic Department is accepting nominations for their Hall of Fame… Anyone in the community can nominate a former athlete… To do so, please request a Hall of Fame application which includes the criteria from Athletic Director Mark Freeze by emailing him at email@example.com or sending the request by mail to Laurens High School, 5058 Hwy 76 West, Laurens, SC 29360, attn: Mark Freeze.
Baseball & Softball Registration Open at Clinton YMCA… Registration is now open at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball and girls softball… There will be a co-ed instructional leagues for ages 3-4 & 5… The 7-8 year old will have an AA/ Coach Pitch league… Dixie Minors will be for ages 9-10 and Dixie Majors is for ages 11-12… Dixie Youth “O” Zone is also available for ages 11-12… This is played more like traditional baseball in that stealing bases is allowed and it is played on a larger diamond…. For more information as to cost, age guidelines, fall out dates and more call the YMCA at 833-1555 or click here to open up a link to more information… Registration will close February 16th so don’t wait
Dixie Youth and Little League Signups Underway… This season the Laurens Dixie Youth and Laurens Little League are working together to provide a combined quality program…WEE BALL (ages 2-4) and TEE BALL (ages 5-6) will register through the Laurens Family YMCA… Ages 7-8, 9-10 and 11-12 BASEBALL and SOFTBALL will register for Lauren Little League at the Little River Park… Middle school players will register for Dixie Boys through the Laurens family YMCA… Deadline to register is February 12... For more information, click here.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.