- Men: Liberty 77 – PC 61… Last night Liberty hit 12 three-pointers, including seven in the second half, to pull away from the Presbyterian College men’s basketball team and take the 77-61 win in Big South action at Templeton Center in Clinton, S.C… JC Younger paced the Blue Hose with a career-high 21 points, with Ed Drew following with 16…. For more information on this game, click here… PC will travel to Campbell tomorrow for a 2 pm contest.
- Women… The Lady Blue Hose return to action today as they host Chattanooga in a 2 pm contest at the Templeton Center.
LDHS Boys… Yesterday afternoon the Raider boys’ basketball team concluded their participation in the C. Dan Joyner Poinsettia Classic at Greenville HS as they took on the Patriots of JL Mann…
- Laurens 71 – Mann 67… The Laurens Raiders jumped out to a 22-8 first quarter lead and then held off a furious JL Mann rally in the closing minutes to defeat the Patriots 71-67…The Raiders big lead early was partially due to Carson Todd coming off the bench to score 6 points in the opening quarter and Josh Greene also having 6 points while the Raiders were rolling on all cylinders both offensively and defensively… In the second quarter, both teams played at a hectic pace as the Patriots outscored the Raiders 21-19… Justin Anderson led the Raiders in the quarter with 7 points, and 3 pointers by Conner Dunlap and Aden Partee helped keep the Raiders out in front… In the third quarter the Raiders outscored the Patriots 14-13… They were behind most of the quarter until Christian Anderson hit a big 3 from the wing in the closing seconds of the third quarter to push the Raiders lead to 55-42 at the end of the third quarter… The Raiders were up by as much as 20 in the second half and victory seemed certain… However, the Raiders made some critical turnovers and some poor shot selection in the last quarter that allowed the Patriots to hang around… Mann outscored the Raiders 25-16 in the last quarter… Free throws down the stretch from Dravious Copeland, Christian Anderson, Josh Greene and Justin Anderson helped seal the game for the Raiders… Justin Anderson led the Raiders with a career high 22 points, Josh Greene had 16 while Carson Todd added 15 points. Also scoring for the Raiders were Conner Dunlap and Christian Anderson with 6 points each.. Aden Partee had 3 and Dravious Copeland and Zh’Rece Anderson each had 2 points… The Raiders improve to 3-9 on the season and next play at Spartanburg on Thursday, January 5th.
LDHS Girls… The Lady Raiders wrapped up their participation last night as they took on the Lady Bears of BHP to decide who would finish 3rd and who would finish 4th in the Lady Raider Rumble.
- BHP 63 – Laurens 45… As they often have this season, the Lady Raider offense opened the in “cold mode” as they managed only 7 points in the first quarter while BHP scored 26 and then went on to take a 63-44 win over the Raiders…. The Raiders continued to struggle in the second quarter as they trailed 41-17 going into the locker room at the half… In the first half the Bears dominated the boards and gave the Raiders very few second chances while they did manage several put-backs after getting the offensive rebound… To their credit, the Raiders never quit but the hole was just too big to climb out of as they never got closer than 13 points to the Bears… The Bears’ Shanteal Davis led all scorers with 23 points…. Laurens was led by Ke’Ny-Ja Spurgeon who had 13 points and Alexus Espinosa was also in double digits with 11… Others scoring for the Raiders were Cali Heisey with 7, Malaysia Todd 5, Paula 4, MK Moore & Tieisha Jones both had 2 and Qua Fortson 1… The Bears finish the tournament in third place while the Raiders finish fourth.
- Other Results from the Raider Rumble… In a game prior to the Laurens vs. BHP game, Brookland-Cayce defeated palmetto to capture fifth place while in the game after the Laurens game, York defeated Union County 54-32 which means York won the Rumble Championship and Union came in second… Ke’Ny-Ja Spurgeon was named to the All-Tournament Team while Cali Heisey garnered Honorable Mention.
Clinton Boys… The Red Devil boys’ basketball team has been in action the last 2 nights in a holiday tournament held at Batesburg-Leesville and Newberry HS… As you may remember I did not get scores on Wednesday night action in time for the sports report yesterday but I do have it now plus results from last night
- Wednesday: Aiken 68 – Clinton 60… On Wednesday the Red Devils took on the Aiken Hornets at B-L HS… The game was a close one and Clinton led 49-46 going into the fourth quarter but the Hornets outscored the Red Devils in the final 8 minutes of play 22-11 to take a 68-60 win… Jalen carter led the Red Devils with 17 points and Kiah Young was also in double-digits with 13 points as well as Tymori Tribble with 10… Others scoring for Clinton were Jahleed Cook with 9 points, Zay Hurley 7, Josh Williams 3 and Vilo Boyd 1.
- Thursday: Newberry 77 – Clinton 74 in OT… Last night the Red Devils closed out the tournament action as they faced off against the Newberry Bulldogs at Newberry with a third place finish in the tournament on the line… This was one whale of a game with Clinton leading 49-42 going into the last 8 minutes of play but once again the Red Devils allowed the opponent to come back and this time tie the game at 70-70 at the end of regulation and send it into overtime… The Bulldogs got 2 field goals and 3 free throws in the overtime to Clintons 1 field goal and 3 free throws (all by Jalen Carter) as Newberry took a 77-74 win in OT allowing them to finish third in the tournament and Clinton fourth… Carter led the Red Devils with a game-high 38 points on the night as he was all but unstoppable… Tymori Tribble and Kiah Young both scored in double-digits as they had 16 and 13 points respectively… Zay Hurley chipped in 4 points and Jahleed Cook 3 to account for the Red Devils scoring… The Red Devils are now 7-3 on the season.
- Bowl Results and Schedule for today… If you want to see the results from yesterday’s bowl games (or any previous bowl game) as well as the schedule for today (and the rest of the schedule also), click here to go to the NCAA bowl schedule that has links to all that information…. And by the way, some of the top 25 teams were upset by “unranked” teams yesterday so you might want to check it out.
- Birmingham Bowl: South Florida 46 – South Carolina 39 in OT… In the Birmingham Bowl yesterday the gamecocks had trouble getting their offense going at the start of the game while the defense was less than stellar but did manage to come back and tie the game 39-39 at the end of regulation and send the game into overtime but the Bulls of South Florida scored in the OT and the Gamecocks did not as the Bulls took a 46-39 win… Turnovers also were a big problem for the Gamecocks… For more on this game, click here.
- Good Luck to the Clemson Tigers as they take their first step in the Fiesta Bowl tomorrow night at 7 pm against the Ohio State Buckeyes toward a rematch with Alabama for the National Championship… The game can be seen on ESPN.
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more…]