CHS: The CHS Red Devil varsity basketball teams traveled to Chester to close out their regular season against the Cyclones.
- G: Chester 74 – Clinton 27… The Lady Red Devils closed out their season with a 74-27 loss to the Lady Cyclones… Clinton fell behind early in a big way and just could not climb out of the whole… Savannah Campbell led the team with 11 points while MK Kelly added 5… The team finishes the season with a 2-21 overall record and 1-9 in region play.
- B: Chester 76 – Clinton 57… Chester completed the sweep of the Red Devils last night by taking a 76-57 win… The Red Devils fell behind 27-12 at the end of the first quarter but managed to cut into the deficit some in the second quarter making the score 35-27 at the half… However the Cyclones outscored them 17-8 in the third quarter and pulled away for the win… Afterwards Coach Tosh Corley commented “A loss is a tough way to end the season, especially when it knocks you out of the playoffs… We just couldn’t find the baskets tonight when we needed them… I’m proud of this team for never giving up… We feel terrible for Seniors Tay Cook, Junior Johnston, Derrick Mitchell, and Braeden Webb that we couldn’t get the win tonight… But there are great things in store for the future of Red Devil Basketball.”… Sorry no scoring details available… Final record: 10-10 (3-7).
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders were also on the road last night as they traveled to Greenville HS to take on the Red Raiders…
- G: GHS 85 – LDHS 53… In girls’ action Laurens fell to the #3 ranked team in Class 4-A by a score of 85-53…Greenville jumped out to a 13-5 lead after the first eight minutes of play and Greenville led 33-20 at the half… Greenville broke the game open in the third quarter putting 29 points on the board in that quarter to Laurens 16 points… Turnovers were a factor in this game as Laurens had 39 in the game… Laurens had two players scoring in double digits as Jadasia Bennett had 15 points and Nasia Owens 13… KC Cofield finished with 9 points, Bre Nance 7, Malaysia Todd 5 while Ke’Ny-Ja Spurgeon and Tieisha Jones finished with 2 points each.
- B: LDHS 73 – GHS 61… Now it was better news where the boys are concerned as they took a come from behind 73-61 win over Greenville… The score was tied 29-29 at the half and Greenville had a 51-47 lead going into the final quarter of play… However Laurens stepped up its offense and defense in that final quarter putting 26 points on the board while holding Greenville to just 10 points to take the win… In the fourth quarter, Laurens made 11 of 15 free throws and Ty Madden had two 3-point goals and Toby Jackson one to aid the comeback… Laurens was led by Chris Statom and Ty Madden who both scored 21 points in the game… Toby Jackson finished with 14 points, Ladarius Williams 11 while Kezario Whitmore, Leonard Williams and E’Nicholas Leake all finished with 2 points each.
Laurens Academy: The Laurens Academy Crusader boys’ team finished region play last Friday tied with Anderson Christian tied for the top spot in SCISA 2-A region… Late yesterday afternoon they held a tie breaking game at WW King to determine who gets the top seed in this weekend’s tournament…. The two teams had split their regular season games with each team taking a win so this would be the deciding game.
- AC 49 – LA 31… Unfortunately the Crusaders came out cold and AC jumped up 18-4 at the end of the first quarter and then went on to take a 4931 win over the Crusaders making them the region champion… Jonathan Burns was the leading scorer for the Crusaders with 18 points… Joshua Moore finished the game with 4 points, Ryan Anderson 3 while Josh Urwick, Nate Martin and Ryan Holmes all finished with 2 points each.
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more…]