CHS: The Clinton Red Devils got back into action as night as they hosted the Newberry Bulldogs in varsity basketball action.
- G: NHS 61 – CHS 45… The Clinton Lady Red Devils played their best game of the year Wednesday night vs. the #3 ranked Newberry Lady Bulldogs but fell by a score of 61-45.. Clinton fell behind early 11-3 before clawing back into the game and trailing 12-10 after 1 quarter… Clinton went on a run in the second quarter and grabbed a five point lead at the half 24-19… Clinton continued their hot shooting in the third quarter opening up a 30-22 lead… Newberry then went on a 15-0 run to end the third quarter and begin the 4th quarter… Clinton would keep fighting in the 4th quarter and cut the lead to 7 before Newbery’s pressure and shooting overtook the l\Lady Red Devils… Coach Chris Wofford comment afterwards “To come out and play the #3 team as well as we did for as long as we did just goes to show everyone how hard these girls have been working and the improvements that they have made this season… Savanna, MK, and De’Naisha shot the ball extremely well and all of our posts played well on both ends.”… The only Red Devil to score in double digits was Savanna Campbell with 15 points… Other putting points on the board for Clinton were MK Kelly – 9, Shauna Goforth – 6, De’Naisha Floyd- 5, Ticambrius Copeland-3, Cynthia McHam – 3, Kalen Richardson – 2 and Olivia Hamrick – 2.
- B: CHS 58 – NHS 55… Now it is better news where the boys are concerned as Tay Cook hit a 3 pointer with about 16 seconds left in the game to lift the Red Devils to a 58-55 win over the Bulldogs…The Red Devils had to come from behind to take the win as they trailed by as many 12 points in the third quarter before closing the gap to just 7 points headed into the final 8 minutes of play… The Red Devils cut the Bulldog lead down to just 2 points in the final 2 minutes of play… With the Bulldogs leading by 2, Tymori Tribble went for a loose ball and deflected it to Tay Cook who hit a layup with about 30 seconds to go to tie the game… The Red Devils then forced a Bulldog turnover setting the stage for Cook’s winning shot… Afterwards all Coach Tosh Coley would say is that it was a heck of an effort by the team… Cook finished the game with 21 points to lead the Red Devils in scoring and Jalen Carter was the only other Red Devil in double digits with 10 points… Others scoring were both Tribble and Junior Johnson with 8 points, Donte Reeder 5, Josh Williams 4 and Tyreke watts 2…. The Red Devils will host Union County this Friday night and they will be collecti9ng shoes and cash to support Samaritans Feet… Please see below.
LDHS JV Basketball … Were on the road at Westside Tuesday night
- G: WHS 41 – LDHS 14… Makayla Childs had 14 points to lead the Lady Raiders. Halftime 22-5 Westside… Laurens is 1-4 on season and 0-3 in the region.
- B: WHS 38 – LDHS 35… Josh Greene had 13 points for the Raiders while Ty Foster had 6 but Foster had 7 steals, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and took 4 charges… Not a bad night for Ty… The JV teams will travel to Easley Thursday night.
- Middle School Girls… LA 18 – WW King 15…Tuesday, the LA Middle School girls defeated WW King @ WW King… Regan Williamson 9 points, Blair Quarles 5 and both Emily Abercrombie & Lisa Langston had 2 each… The team is 6-0 on the season and 2-0 in region play.
Middle School Basketball: All of these are “out of conference” games
- B: CMS-R 44 – Sims 42… CMS-R scored 2 more points than Sims in the 4th quarter to break a tie going into the final quarter… Player of the game would be Konnor Richardson with 24 points 10 rebounds and 5 assists… CMS Red Boys (2-4)
- G: Woodruff Middle 37 – Hickory Tavern 20… Sorry no further details on this or boys’ score.
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more…]