- PC Host Coastal Carolina for Homecoming…Tomorrow at 2 pm the Blue Hose football team will be hosting the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina and it is Homecoming… The two teams have played every season since 2007 with the Chanticleers leading the series 8-1… For more information on this game, click here.
- VB: Clinton 3 – Fairfield Central 0… Catching up with first round playoff action in volleyball at CHS on Wednesday, the Lady Red Devils took a 3-0 win over Fairfield Central HS to advance to second round of the playoffs on Monday… Set scores were 25-9, 25-13 and 25-7…. Congratulation to the team… Go Big Red!
- Tennis: JL Mann 6 – Laurens 0… In their first playoff appearance in several years, the Raider ladies’ tennis team was forced to face off against #1 seed J.L. Mann in the 1st round playoff match… While the Lady Raiders fought valiantly, they were unable to secure a victory in any of the individual or doubles matches as the Patriots eliminated the Raiders from the playoffs by a score of 6-0… Kathleen Horner, Ella Orcutt and Abby Davis all took their matches to three sets but, each Raider lost in a tiebreaker at the end of the 3rd match… In other singles matches, Kathryn Tribble and Julianne Turner were defeated in straight sets… Only one doubles match was played. In that contest, the team of Tiffany Huffman and Anna Jenkins fell 1 – 8 in a pro set… Coach Susan Youmans said afterwards “We are all proud of the effort these young ladies put into their season and we know that they will continue to improve as a result of those efforts… Go Raiders!”
- 9th Grade Football: Greenwood 28 – Laurens 24… The Laurens Raider 9th grade football team traveled to Greenwood yesterday to take on the Eagles and fell by a score of 28-24 in a tight game.. Don’t really have too much information but I can tell you Mikeal Burnside had at least 1 rushing TD and Dee Foster and Kee Pitts had passing scores.
- JV Football: Greenwood 40 – Laurens 0… The JVs also traveled to Greenwood and lost 40-0
Middle School Athletics:
- Football: Gray Court-Owings 22 – Hickory Tavern 12… In middle school football action yesterday at Hickory Tavern, the Tigers of GCO took a 22-12 win over the Panthers of HT… The Tigers took the early lead on a 6 yard run by Dontavious Stephenson who also added the 2-point conversion to put the Tigers up 8-0 midway through the 2nd quarter… Eric Roberts returned the ensuing kickoff to the Tigers 21 yard line and 3 plays later Jeremiah Easter scored from 2 yards out and the score went to 8-6 with the PAT being unsuccessful… HT scored on the opening drive of the 2nd half on a 46 yard pass from Easter to Kevin Norman and took a 12-8 lead… GCO responded on their next possession when Cole Mundy connected with Luis Rios on a 9 yard pass and Easter connected with Kalob Hamilton for the 2-point conversion to go up 16-12… The Tigers last score came on a 13 yard run by Mundy to make the final 22-12.
- Football: CMS (8) 30 – Saluda 0… The CMS 8th grade team was also in action yesterday and they defeated Saluda 30-0… Kimon Quarles had 2 TDs one of them on a punt return… Navil Watson also had a rushing TD and a 2-point conversion while Nick Williams scored on a pass… Baikevious Witherspoon and Shy Kinard each had a 2-point conversion.. Afterwards Coach Lapomarda said his team could have played better as they had 4 TDs called back… Congratulations to both these teams on their wins.
Local Sports Schedule:
- LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS and District 55 middle schools, click here
- CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS and CMS, click here
- Laurens Academy: Host Northside Christian Academy at 7:30 on Senior Night
- Varsity Football: Our next Laurens varsity football broadcast will be tonight when Laurens host the Greenwood Eagles on Senior Night.… I hope you can make it to the game as the Raiders can secure and opening round home game in the playoffs with a win… We will start with our Friday Night Insiders program at 5:30 followed by Stan Olenik & Mike Anthony with their Palmetto Preview Show and then we go live about 6:35 with Doug Holiday calling the game and King Dixon adding his analysis of the game… Mike Hughes will report from the sideline…Our FM in-stadium transmitter will be set on 95.7… Also remember the game will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
This & That:
- Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame… Please do not forget that the new Laurens County Sports Hall of Fame is accepting nominations for its inaugural class until October 31st… If you want more information about this I invite you to click here and it will take you to a posting that has a video of the press conference announcing the hall’s formation and information about how to nominate someone.
- Chicken Stew Fund Raiser for Adair Outdoor Education Center… The Joe R Adair Outdoor Education Center is having a chicken stew fundraiser to help the center that is used by both Laurens School Districts 55 & 56… The center host classes in all age ranges and its personnel also go to the school to help enhance the both districts students education about the natural world around them… With district budgets being tight, the money will be use to help maintain the facility and accomplish different projects at the center… The stew is $7 per quart and pre-orders are being accepted… The stew will be available at the center on Friday, Nov. 4th and should be picked up between 11am and 4 pm… The center is located at 110 Scout Creek Court, Laurens down behind EB Morse… A limited number of quarts will be available for walk-ups that day.
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The Laurens County Touchdown Club will have its next meeting on Friday, 11-4-16 where the guest speaker is scheduled to be Mike Ayers Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… If you would like to see the entire schedule or are interested in becoming a sponsor, click here and it will carry you to a posting in our Between the Lines section where that information is available… To see videos of past meetings click here.
- LCCC Oyster Roast… Mark your calendars for November 10th because that is when the Laurens County Chamber of Commerce will be hosting their ninth Annual College Football Fan Challenge Oyster Roast… Again this year the menu will have all you can eat ands drink steamed oysters, low country boil and gumbo… College football celebrities will be on hand as there will be a silent and live auction… The gates will open at 5 pm and food will be served at 6 pm… now tickets for the event are $40 and you can get them at the Chamber of Commerce Office or you can order them online by clicking here… For more information call the chamber at 864-833-2716
- Softball Chicken Stew Fundraiser… The Laurens Raider Varsity and JV Softball teams are selling quarts of chicken stew as a fundraiser for the softball programs… The teams will be selling options on the stew beginning October 1, 2016 and the market will close on November 11, 2016… All chicken stew quarts will be available for pick up on November 12th… This fabulous stew will be sold for $7.00 per quart… To purchase your “Chicken Stew for the Soul,” please see any softball player, their parents, or contact Michelle Gibbs (email@example.com).
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.