- Volleyball: Laurens 2 – CHS 0… On Monday the Lady Red Devil volleyball team traveled to Laurens as part of a tri-match involving the Raiders and Wade Hampton… Laurens defeated Clinton 2-0 by set scores of 25-22 and 25-20
- Volleyball: Wade Hampton 2 – Laurens 0… In the other part of the tri-match with Clinton and wade Hampton, the Raiders fell to Wade Hampton by a score of 2-0… Set scores were 25-14 and 25-19 Wade Hampton.
- Tennis: Abbeville 4 – LDHS 2… Catching up with Lady Raider tennis from Monday afternoon, the Raiders traveled to Abbeville to take on the Lady Panthers… Unfortunately for Rider fans Abbeville took a 4-2 win… Kathleen Horner took a hard-fought win in singles action as did Ella Orcutt.
- Golf: Hanna 197 – LDHS 226… The Lady Raider golf team was also in action Monday as they traveled to Cobbs Glen CC to take on the Lady Yellow Jackets of TL Hanna… The Yellow Jackets proved to be a little too strong for the Raiders as they took a 197-226 win… Scores for Laurens were: Alexus Moore 52, Hannah Finley 51, Bailey Gibbs 59, and Brandi Eiff 64… The #5 player Bailey Carder is injured and unable to play… We expect her to return next week… Coach Jim Iacuone stated afterwards “We had some issues putting at Cobbs Glen, the greens are significantly faster than Lakeside, where we have played the last four matches… Hopefully today we are able to readjust to the greens when we face Mauldin at home.”
- Volleyball: LA 3 – Richard Winn 2… The Lady Crusader volleyball team traveled to Richard Winn Academy yesterday to take on the Eagles and they maintained their first place standing in the region with a 3-2 win… The Eagles took the first set by a score of 25-20 and the second one by a score of 25-18… The Crusaders facing a loss and rebounded to take the next 3 sets by scores of 25-21, 25-20 and the fifth set by an unknown score.
- MS Volleyball: In action prior to the varsity match, Richard win defeated the Crusaders 2-0 with set scores being 26-24 and 25-8.
Middle School Volleyball:
- Newberry MS 2 – GCO 0… The Lady Tigers of GCO traveled to Newberry County last night for a tri-match with Newberry MS and Mid-Carolina MS… The lady Tigers did not fare well against Newberry as they fell 2-0… Set scores were 25-11 and 25-14.
- Mid-Carolina MS 2 – GCO 0… The news was not any better in their match with Mid-Carolina as again the Lady Tigers fell by a score of 2-0… Set scores were 25-21 and 25-16… The Lady Tigers are now 3-4 overall and 2-4 in conference play.
- FBS AP Rankings… Well compared to the top 10 in last week’s AP Poll ranking the FBS teams there was very little change… As a matter of fact the top 7 are exactly the same and starting with #1 they are: Alabama, Ohio State, Louisville, Michigan, Clemson, Houston and Stanford… Wisconsin did move from # 11 to #8 and Texas A&M and Washington switched places with A&M now #9… To see the entire top 25 poll, click here.
- FCS Coaches Poll… The FCS Coaches Poll had no movement in the top five either this week and North Dakota State still holds the top spot… Chattanooga is holding down the #3 spot… A couple of other area teams in the top 25 are Charleston Southern tied for #8 and The Citadel at #10… To see the entire poll, click here.
- Braves & – Phillies 6… The Braves trailed 6-0 by the end of the second inning but instead of just calling it a night they fought back and took a 7-6 win over the Phillies at The Ted last night… Tyler Fowlers and Freddie Freeman both had homers for the Braves… For more information on this game, click here.
Local Sports Schedule:
LDHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at LDHS and District 55 middle schools, click here
CHS: To see the sports schedule for this week at CHS and CMS, click here
Broadcast Notes… .
- Varsity Football: Our next Laurens varsity football broadcast will be this Friday night when Laurens travels to Hillcrest to start region play as they take on the Hillcrest Rams… We will start with our Friday Night Insiders program at 5:30 followed by Stan Olenick & Mike Anthony and then go live about 6:35 with Doug Holiday calling the game and King Dixon adding his analysis of the game… Mike Hughes will report from the sideline…Our FM in-stadium transmitter will be set on 95.7 or 107.7 depending on which I find best when I get there… Also remember the game will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
This & That: [Read more…]