Gospel Music has been a staple of WLBG programming since the 1950’s. Many years ago, Sunday mornings were very busy in our studios with groups like “The Bells of Heaven”, “New Found Joy”, and “The Mighty Voices” performing live each Sunday morning. Throughout the 60’s and 70’s the late Brother Ozell Kirk hosted all gospel programming. In the mid 80’s, gospel music was expanded to include weekdays. Veteran broadcasters Sister Yvonne Butler, Rufus WIlliams, Gary Robinson and others hosted various programs.
Rev. Anthony Sims came to WLBG in the early 1990’s, having been a member of a quartet, a long time radio announcer and emcee, a Church Pastor, and in-demand speaker around the area. He currently hosts the Gospel Express from 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm each weekday as well as the Saturday Morning Gospel Express from 6:00 am to 10:00 am and “Gospel Talk” from 10:00 am to 11:00 am each Saturday. “Gospel Talk” is co-hosted by Min. Richard Aiken, who also lends his talents to many live broadcasts. Brother Levardis “Nod” Payne and Sis. Crystal Daniels host our long standing Sunday morning programming.
The “Mighty Voices” Program is the longest running show in WLBG history, having first broadcast in the early 1960’s. It continues today with the same host, Cleveland Lagroon. Cle has seldom missed a Sunday since the beginning.
Our Current WLBG Gospel Express Hot Ten:
- I Smile – Kirk Franklin
- Put It All In The Hands of Jesus – Powerful Singing Tornadoes
- Victory – Jay Caldwell & Gospel Ambassadors
- Wonderful God – Bishop R.L. Ponder & Ponder Brothers
- Another Yes Lord – Pastor H.E. Dixon
- Birds Have Nests – Six Voices of Zion
- Nobody’s Fault But Mine – James Smith & Gospel Imperials
- The Leaning Tree – Min. Win Thompkins
- Trust Me – Richard Smallwood w/Vision
- Don’t Do It Without Me – Bishop Paul S. Morton
All chart entries compiled by most requested songs by our listeners